Longer sentences for attacks on 999 staff 'an admission of failure' say critics

Will Taylor
·News Reporter
·3-min read
Home Secretary Priti Patel meets new recruits during a visit to Sussex Police Headquarters in Lewes, East Sussex, with Chief Constable of Sussex Police Jo Shiner behind. (Photo by Gareth Fuller/PA Images via Getty Images)
Home secretary Priti Patel said she wants to increase maximum sentencing for people who attack emergency workers to two years. (Gareth Fuller/PA Images via Getty Images)

Priti Patel’s proposal to double the maximum prison sentence for people convicted of assaulting emergency workers has been criticised as an “admission of failure”.

The home secretary has said she wanted to see those who attack police officers and firefighters face up to two years in jail, an increase from the maximum one year at present.

It comes just two years after the law making assaults on emergency workers a specific offence was brought in.

The chief executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform, which campaigns over the justice system, said that law had not worked and “it won’t work now”, adding that the causes of crime should be tackled instead.

Home Secretary Priti Patel during a visit to Kent Police College in Maidstone, as part of an announcement on police recruitment following previous government pledges to bring in thousands more officers. PA Photo. Picture date: Wednesday October 9, 2019. Police recruitment targets for every force in England and Wales have been announced by the government as part of its pledge to hire 20,000 new officers. In the first wave of the roll-out, the Home Office will provide £750 million to support the 43 forces to recruit up to 6,000 new officers by the end of 2020-21. See PA story POLITICS Policing. Photo credit should read: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire
The government has launched a consultation on doubling the sentence for people convicted of assaulting an emergency worker. (Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire)

Writing in the Daily Mail, Patel said: “Now more than ever, those on the front line must be able to do their jobs without fear of harassment or physical attack. This Government is committed to doing just that.

“Those who carry out these attacks need to understand the seriousness of their crime.

“That’s why today, we’re announcing a targeted consultation on doubling the maximum sentence for assaults on emergency workers – from 12 months to two years.

“It’s essential that in these horrific cases, a just punishment is handed down.

“Only then can our brave police officers, firefighters, paramedics and prison officers know that, as they go about their jobs, this Government has their back.”

She said she had spoken to a police officer in Wales who had been stabbed in the abdomen while on duty and another from West Yorkshire Police who was coughed at by someone claiming to have the coronavirus.

The government has launched a consultation on the sentencing change.

Frances Crook (centre), the chief executive of the Howard League for Penal reform, speaking at a protest outside Pentonville prison in north London, at the ban on sending books to prisoners.
Frances Crook (centre), chief executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said the government should focus on the causes of crime, not tougher sentences. (PA Images)

However, Frances Crook, chief executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said: “These proposals are an admission of failure.

“Less than two years ago, parliament looked at this issue and voted for longer sentences. Now ministers want to go even further. It didn’t work then and it won’t work now.

Read more: Priti Patel wants criminals to ‘feel terror’

“If the government was serious about protecting emergency services workers, it would stop tinkering with sentences for political expediency and concentrate instead on offering solutions to the bigger issues that drive crime, such as health inequalities, homelessness and a shrinking economy.

“It is time for a new approach. Repeating the mistakes of the past only holds the country back.”

A law making assaults on emergency workers a specific offence led to 50 cases per day in its first year.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said 20,000 charges under the Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act were prosecuted between November 2018 and 2019.

Three-quarters were cases of alleged assault by beating, while kicking, punching, spitting, head-butting, slapping and biting were also all used to attack the responders, the CPS said.

Read more: Home Office ‘has no idea’ how many people are in the UK illegally, report finds

Nine out of 10 of the cases were against police officers.

The Police Federation said it welcomed the government’s consultation but chairman John Apter added that sentencing must be consistent.

He said: “Assaulting a police officer is completely unacceptable and there must be a suitable deterrent.

“I accept there will always be times where an offender does not receive a custodial sentence. However, this must be the exception and not the norm.”