Man, in 20s, dies after incident at Cotswold Water Park as heatwave deaths spike

·2-min read
The body was pulled from a lake at Cotswold Water Park  (Google)
The body was pulled from a lake at Cotswold Water Park (Google)

A man has died after being pulled from a lake at a natural beauty spot during the heatwave.

The victim, in his 20s, had entered the water as the UK recorded extremely high temperatures at 6pm on Monday night.

A Wiltshire Police spokesman said: “A man has sadly died following an incident at Cotswold Water Park, Ashton Keynes. We were called to the scene shortly after 6pm yesterday.

“Sadly, a man in his 20s was confirmed deceased shortly after being pulled from the water.”

Wiltshire Police said they were not treating the death as suspicious.

They added: “Our thoughts are with his family at this tragic time.”

Cotswold Water Park had recently warned of the dangers of swimming in the beauty spot, popular with birdwatchers.

They said: “In this heat, it is tempting to want to swim in the Cotswold Water Park lakes. They may look inviting but many can be dangerous. If you fancy a dip, please put your safety first and find a lake that is specifically managed for open water swimming.”

The Cotswold Water Park is an area of over 40 square miles and 180 lakes.

Its website says: “This stunning wetlands landscape hosts tens of thousands of breeding and watering birds and is an ideal destination for watching wildlife all year round.”

Forecasters said an absolute maximum of 43C (109F) is possible later on - with the UK also hotter than Jamaica, the Maldives and Barbados.

It came as the number of heatwave deaths in open water and off Britain’s coasts rose to at least 12.

On Tuesday morning police re-started their search for the body of a missing 14-year-old boy believed to have drowned in the Thames after going for a swim to cool off.

Met officers were alerted by London Ambulance Service to reports that a child had entered the water and was in difficulty at Tagg’s Island in Hampton, Richmond just before 5pm on Monday.

Despite a search by officers, paramedics, fire crews and members of the public, efforts to find the boy were unsuccessful and the rescue operation was brought to an end at 6.40pm.

Greater Manchester Police also confirmed that the body of a man aged in his 60s was found in the River Irwell in Bury.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting