A man has been arrested after reportedly threatening to shoot an 11-year-old boy over a game of Fortnite.
Michael Aliperti, 45, allegedly told the boy, who had just beat him on the online game, he was going to shoot him in threatening voice notes sent via his Xbox.
Officers say Aliperti also sent text messages, saying he intended to go to the boy’s home and harm him after the Fortnite defeat.
The messages, which also mentioned his school, were sent at around 9pm on Monday, police claim.
Suffolk County Police Chief of Department Stuart Cameron said that Aliperti, of Long Island, sent the threats after playing the child on the hit third-person shooter game.
The pair had been playing Fortnite against one another for several months, officers claimed.
The boy’s family reported the allegations to police, who subsequently increased their presence at the child’s school.
READ MORE ON YAHOO NEWS UK
Puppy with paws tied together by hairband found dumped outside charity shop
Watch: Garden wizard spends 273 HOURS mowing amazing patterns into his lawn
Alton Towers rollercoaster crash victims to sue theme park ‘for millions’
Inside Jack’s: Tesco’s budget supermarket to take on Lidl and Aldi
“We took this as a school threat,” Cameron confirmed. “That was done out of an abundance of caution.”
Cameron also warned parents to remain vigilant and monitor their children’s online game playing and to be aware of their opponents.
As a result of the parent’s report, Aliperti was arrested on charges of aggravated harassment and acting in a manner to injure a child.
Bail was set at $2,500 and police issued an order of protection for the young victim.