A 56-year-old man is fighting for his life in hospital after a blaze ripped through his home caused by a firework.
Emergency services were called to the fire at the property on Birchtrees Drive, in Tile Cross, Birmingham at around 11pm on Thursday, November 2 just a few days before Bonfire Night.
The man was rushed to hospital with serious burns and smoke inhalation, along with his 50-year-old girlfriend who suffered broken legs after jumping from a first floor window. She remains in hospital while her partner battles for his life.
West Midlands Police said: “Detectives are now treating the fire as arson with a firework believed to be the source of the fire within the hallway of the property.”
Officers are scouring CCTV in the area and conducting house to house enquiries in an effort to trace those responsible.
Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Burton, from force CID, said: “The occupants of the address are in a critical condition in hospital and we are urging anyone who has information to help us trace those responsible to contact us.”
A force spokesman added: “The address remains sealed off while forensic examinations are conducted.”