Man, 72, who fled UK after being unmasked as child sex abuser jailed

·3-min read
Bhaye Khodabukus (Metropolitan Police )
Bhaye Khodabukus (Metropolitan Police )

A pensioner who fled the UK when his historical sexual abuse of two young girls came to light has been jailed for 15 years and six months.

Bhaye Khodabukus, 72, abused the victims then aged six and 10 between 1999 and 2013.

On the first day of his trial Wood Green crown court, Khodabukus pleaded guilty to rape, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, sexual touching and gross indecency.

The Met launched an investigation into Khodabukus, following a phone call from one of the victims’ partners in September 2019.

Khodabukus fled to Mauritius after admissions of abuse to his family but was arrested on October 13, 2019.

He answered no comment in police interview, did not offer a prepared statement and was charged in April last year.

After Khodabukus was sentenced on Monday, one of his victims said: “I’m pleased to have this justice served.

“Though it doesn’t lift the emotional scarring of the past, it has definitely lifted a dark cloud.

“I’m happy that I can go into the new year not having to constantly think of what may happen.

“I’m glad the judge gave the time that she did and considered the emotional and psychological impact it has had on me and my family.”

Judge Joanna Greenberg QC remarked that Khodabukus had shown no remorse over the gravity of the offences he committed or the impact on the survivors.

Detective Sergeant Virginia Condren, of the North Area’s Public Protection Team, said: “It has been extremely difficult and emotional for the victims in this case to report the abuse they suffered as children.

“They have endured agonising court delays during the pandemic to get to final sentencing but have remained so resilient throughout. Their bravery in speaking out against their abuser is nothing short of commendable.

“Whilst the punishment delivered does not remove the trauma, I do know there is now relief that justice has been served and a feeling of accomplishment.

“I do hope that those involved in this case can now start to move forward and that the weight of this, carried for many years, has now been lifted. My very best wishes to them all.”

Detective Superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh, from the North Area’s Public Protection Team, added: “I would urge anyone who has been sexually assaulted, either historically or recently, to contact us.

“You do not need to go through this alone, we are here to help you.

“We will never judge you and we will support you throughout.”

An NSPCC spokesman said: “Khodabukus’ victims have lived with the shadow of his abuse over their lives since 1999, but now, after so many years they have finally seen justice served.

“We hope that this sentencing will allow them to begin to move on with their lives and that they are getting the support they need to do this.

“Sexual abuse can have a devastating effect on the life of a child which can last long into adulthood and it is of the utmost importance that anyone who has concerns about a child’s welfare speaks out so that they can be protected.”

Children can contact Childline on 0800 1111. Adults with concerns about the wellbeing of a child can phone the NSPCC helpline on 0808 8005000 or email help@nspcc.org.uk

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting