AN ISLE of Wight man accused of burglaries in Ryde was told he will remain in custody for at least another month, amid hold ups with his legal aid application, preventing him getting a solicitor.
Clive Richardson, of East Hill Road, Ryde, has yet to plead to two counts of burglary, possession of Class A and Class B drugs and an assault on an emergency worker.
The two burglary charges relate to incidents in Ryde — one on Queens Road on February 6, and another on Appley Rise on July 4.
Officers had been investigating a break-in on Queens Road on February 6, when £50 cash was stolen.
On July 4, Hampshire Constabulary said a man entered a flat on Appley Rise, but left when he was challenged by the occupant.
Appearing at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Monday, November 21, the 48-year-old told the judge, Recorder Malcolm Gibney, his case had stalled because he cannot get legal aid to fund his defence.
He said it was due to him being in custody and not having access to financial documentation about his self-employed status.
He was remanded in custody, to reappear for a plea and trial preparation hearing at the same venue, on December 22.
A trial date for him has been fixed for the week commencing March 27 next year.