Man arrested after London's Charing Cross Station closed amid reports of bomb threat

Evacuated – Charing Cross Station was closed following reports of a man on the tracks claiming to have a bomb (Picture: Yahoo News UK)

A man has been arrested at London’s Charing Cross Station after claiming to have a bomb.

Commuters were evacuated from the station on Friday morning and armed police sent to the scene following reports of a man on the tracks claiming to have a bomb.

British Transport Police confirmed that a man had been arrested following the incident, which happened at around 6.30am.

The force tweeted: “A man claiming to have a bomb at station has now been arrested. We are now working to reopen the station as soon as possible would like to thank passengers and rail staff for their patience and understanding during this incident.”



No one was injured during the incident, the Metropolitan Police said.

The incident caused rush hour delays to train and tube services through what is one of London’s busiest stations and passengers were urged to check before travelling.

Precaution – the station was closed as a precaution, with armed guards seen outside (Picture: PA)

Northern Line services were suspended in both directions during the incident but the station was fully reopened by 8.30am, with normal services operating.

Nazrul Islam, who was distributing newspapers near the station on Friday morning, told Yahoo News UK he saw lots of armed police near the station as the incident unfolded and had heard that there was a bomb threat at the station.