Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Elle Edwards at pub on Christmas Eve

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering Elle Edwards on Christmas Eve.

Merseyside Police said a 22-year-old man from the Wirral had been taken into custody and a 23-year-old woman had also been detained on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Three people have already been arrested in connection with the murder, which took place at the Lighthouse pub in Wallasey Village, Wirral, shortly before midnight on 24 December.

A 31-year-old man from Tranmere, Wirral, and a 19-year-old woman from Rock Ferry, Wirral, were held on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and bailed pending further inquiries, while a 30-year-old man from Tranmere, who was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, was recalled to prison on licence.

Detective Superintendent Sue Coombs said: "This brings the number of arrests in connection with the tragic death of Elle to five.

"Although extensive work is going on from our dedicated teams across Merseyside Police and a great deal of intelligence has come in, I would still ask that anyone who has information and has yet to come forward, does so."

Ms Edwards, a beautician, was pronounced dead in hospital following the shooting.

She is not believed to have been the intended target of the attack which also left four men injured.

The 26-year-old was celebrating Christmas Eve with friends when she was shot in the head.

Ms Edward's sister has previously described her as her "best friend, sidekick and partner in crime".

In an emotional social media post, Lucy Edwards said: "I should not be waking up this morning on New Year's Day without you."

In a family tribute, her father Tim Edwards said: "There was no-one as beautiful as our Elle May, her looks, her laugh and the way she would light up a room as soon as she walked in.

"She had this way about her that as soon as you met her, you just instantly fell in love with her, everyone that met Elle knew how special she was."