Man dead and eight in hospital after fire at block of flats in Bristol

A man has died and eight people are in hospital after a fire on the top floor of a block of flats.

Emergency workers raced to the blaze on the 16th floor of Twinnell House, in Easton, Bristol at around 2.15am today (25).

Eight people are currently in hospital – seven for treatment for smoke inhalation and another for minor burns.

Three others were treated by the medics at the scene. One man died.

The building was evacuated and around 90 residents were forced to leave.

A rest centre was set up at a nearby church where Bristol City Council is currently providing welfare support to around 40 people.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service sent eleven fire engines to the scene, which is still closed.

A full investigation into the incident will be carried out, police said.

Avon and Somerset police superintendent Tony Blatchford said: “This is a tragic incident in which a man has lost his life.

“While formal identification has not yet been carried out, we believe we know who the man is and have informed his next of kin. Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.

“Enquiries into what happened have already begun and we will work closely with the fire service to fully understand what started the fire and how the man sadly died.

“I’d like to thank those who have been evacuated from their homes for their co-operation and understanding and promise them all agencies are working hard to enable them to return home as quickly as possible.”

Dave Hodges, Avon Fire and Rescue Service duty group commander, said: “On arrival crews were faced with a serious fire on the 16th floor and deployed crews wearing breathing apparatus to tackle the fire and assist residents.

“The upper floors have been damaged by smoke and fire, and water damage has affected many flats on lower floors.

“The fire has now been contained and fire crews remain in attendance making the scene safe. We are working with our partner agencies to support the local community during this difficult time.

“Our sincere condolences go to the friends and family of the deceased.”

A spokesperson for Bristol City Council said: “Our thoughts are with the family of the individual who has tragically lost their life in this incident.

“We’re grateful for the swift action of all emergency services and council officers involved to tackle this fire and support residents to the nearby place of safety. Officers are currently supporting the efforts underway to assess the damage and understand how the fire started.

“Residents affected by this tragic incident are being supported and those who require it will be helped into emergency accommodation whilst their homes remain inaccessible.”

South Western Ambulance Service sent seven double-crewed ambulances.