Man dies after after getting head stuck in seat at Vue cinema in Birmingham

Patrick Grafton-Green
Accident: The man got his head trapped in a seat when he was retrieving his phone: Shutterstock / lapandr

A man has died after his head became trapped in a seat at a Vue cinema in Birmingham.

His suffered a cardiac arrest after his head was crushed by an electric footrest as he reportedly tried to retrieve his phone.

The freak accident is said to have occurred when the man dropped his phone between the new Gold Class seats in one of the auditoriums.

He is believed to have become trapped when the seat’s footrest clamped down on his head.

Cinema: The incident happened at the Vue in Birmingham

The man became panicked as he tried to free himself, according to Birmingham Live.

The local new site reported that the footrest was eventually broken off but the man was left with serious injuries.

A source said: "He bent down to look for his phone. At this point the leg-rest was in an upright position.

“But as he stuck his head underneath to have a look, the footrest clamped down onto his head.

“He was stuck and panicking. His partner and staff tried to free him but couldn’t."

The man suffered a cardiac arrest and, after paramedics managed to restart his heart, he was rushed to hospital, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

A spokeswoman for Vue confirmed the company is investigating.

She said: “Following an incident which took place on Friday, March 9 at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.

“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday March 16.

“A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes