Man shocked after finding note left by builder in his shop 35 years ago

·2-min read
A note written by a builder in 1986 was discovered in the wall of an old shop. (SWNS)

A man was shocked to find a handwritten note left in his shop wall by a builder 35 years ago.

The discovery was made by Daniel Bodman, 36, while renovating an old building in the town of Devizes, Wiltshire.

He is transforming the property into a new showroom for his masonry business, Market Town Memorials, which specialises in grave and headstone restoration.

Read more: Bride stranded after breaking down on way to wedding

Bodman discovered the humorous note - written on the back of an electricity safety notice - in a wall.

In the 35-year-old note, the builder jokes about electrocuting himself during the job. (SWNS)
The note was written in 1986 on the back of an old eletric safety poster. (SWNS)

He was taking some cladding down when he noticed the folded poster.

The note was signed by “Mr Nicholas Poole”, who wrote that he had been electrocuted while carrying out a job there in August 1986.

The handwritten message reads: “While doing this job, I was electrocuted because I touched two bare wires accidentally.”

The message was written on the back of an old “Treatment of Electric Shock” poster - complete with pictures of how to do CPR.

Bodman said: “It makes an interesting little read, and had made us chuckle with what he had wrote it on. It would be interesting to find him."

He has posted on some local Facebook groups in an effort to track down Nicolas Poole.

Read more: Community hit back after telecoms mast is 'plonked' in park

The full note reads: “This shop ‘Herb Craft’ was fitted by Nick Poole in August 1986 at an hourly rate of £2.00.

Daniel Bodman, right, with his stepson, Stanley. (SWNS)
Daniel Bodman found the note in a wall while renovating an old building in Devizes, Wiltshire. (SWNS)

“Nearly all the wood fitted had been taken down, cleaned up and reused so that the main costs were my wages.

“The store walls are in a state so God knows what they will be like when you find this.

“While doing this job, I was electrocuted because I touched two bare wires accidentally. Nicholas Jo Poole."

Watch: Martin Roberts shares some top tips on the things to look out for when buying a house

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting