Man shot dead near Wood Green Tube station in second fatal shooting in 24 hours

·2-min read
Man shot dead near Wood Green Tube station in second fatal shooting in 24 hours

A man was shot dead near Wood Green Tube station on Sunday night–the second fatal shooting in the capital in less than 24 hours.

Police confirmed that a man, believed to be in his 20s, died at 10pm after reports of a shooting on the High Road near the London Underground station.

Despite the best efforts of paramedics and the London Air Ambulance, the man’s life could not be saved.

The road was closed on Monday morning, between White Hart Lane and Lordship Lane, by the Tube station, as police searched for evidence.

An eyewitness described how three men in a hatchback with their faces covered with balaclavas ambushed a man and shot him dead.

He said: “They pulled up on a hatchback three of them were in the car. They ambushed him in a nearby park and there were four shots. He staggered across the road. I saw him there were lots of injuries on his body. The police fought hard to save his life.

The witness described how the victim’s distraught mother came to the scene.

He added: “She was in shock, she couldn’t even speak. It was horrible to see.”

The scene on Tuesday morning (John Dunne/Evening Standard)
The scene on Tuesday morning (John Dunne/Evening Standard)

A Met Police spokesperson told the Standard they were called at 9.30pm after reports of shots being fired.

Armed police, alongside paramedics, attended and gave the man first aid, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 10pm.

Detective Chief Inspector Perry Benton, leading the investigation, said: “This is a tragic incident in which a young man has lost his life.

“I would urge anyone who was in the High Road area at the time, or who has any information about this incident to contact police immediately.

“In particular, I am appealing to anyone who has any mobile phone footage or CCTV, which they think may be helpful to the investigation , to come forward.”

 (John Dunne/Evening Standard)
(John Dunne/Evening Standard)

The shooting comes less than 24 hours after the fatal shooting of 28-year-old Sam Brown at a gathering in Cheney Row Park, Higham Hill.

Police believe there were between 50 and 100 people gathered playing music when the shooting happened around 12.35am on Sunday.

A short time later, two people self-presented at an east London hospital, one with gunshot wounds and one with stab wounds.

The man injured in the shooting died at hospital a short time later.

The second man, aged in his 30s, was discharged from hospital and was arrested in connection with the incident.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting