A MAN slammed into a motorcyclist on a major Southampton route after turning the wrong direction onto the carriageway.
Maurizio Cestero left a motorcyclist with minor injuries during the crash on Redbridge Road on March 13, 2022.
A court was told how the 56-year-old of St James Close had been driving in the early hours of the morning.
Turning onto the wrong carriageway, he continued to drive in the wrong direction before colliding with the motorbike.
Prosecuting, Aleks Lloyd said that “whilst it may have been a mistake”, the fact he continued to drive is the dangerous part.
He added that Cestero was spoken to by the police and later apologised for what he had done, taking “full responsibility”.
The court was told how he had been driving for 33 years without an incident.
Defending, Ed Wilde said he is “entirely remorseful and wishes to apologise to the victim and the court”.
But Judge Nicholas Rowland said the area had been “well lit” at the time.
He added: “Simply taking a wrong turn could have had more significant effects. Luckily it was just a minor injury.”
Cestero pleaded guilty at a previous pre-trial preparation hearing.
He was given a 12-month community order and 150 hours of unpaid work.
He was also disqualified from driving for 12 months and must take an extended re-test when eligible to get his licence back.
A message from the Editor
Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.
Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.
You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.
Don't just take my word for it - subscribe today.
Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by searching Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents on Facebook
Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated group by searching Hampshire Court and Crime News on Facebook