Man taken to hospital in London after household cleaning products cause toxic fumes

‘Unsafe fumes’ are understood to have been released (PA Archive)
‘Unsafe fumes’ are understood to have been released (PA Archive)

A man was taken to hospital in north-west London after reportedly mixing two household products while cleaning, causing a hazardous chemical reaction.

Firefighters and paramedics were scrambled to a house in Nascot Street, White City, at about 2pm on Monday.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The Brigade believes unsafe fumes were released after limescale remover and bleach were mixed together.”

A man was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service paramedics and its hazardous area response team, before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

Fire crews equipped with specialist equipment safely disposed of the chemicals down the drain and ventilated the building.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The incident prompted London Fire Brigade to issue a safety reminder about mixing cleaning products on Thursday.

“Household cleaning products do pose a risk when used incorrectly,” said a spokesperson.

“Always follow the instructions for cleaning products and chemicals carefully and don’t be tempted to mix them as it could produce hazardous fumes.

“Make sure you always keep them securely sealed and out of the reach of children.”

In a safety video released on Twitter, LFB advised people to always read the safety information on cleaning products, not to mix them, to wear gloves if cleaning up a spill, and to keep cleaning products securely out of the way of children.