Nathan Weitzel, 31 – who was wearing his seat belt – left his two-year-old son Isaiah unbuckled on the back seat before crashing into several parked cars at 75mph.
Weitzel, of Colorado, had originally pleaded not guilty on the grounds of insanity in April 2017. In exchange for his new plea of guilty to one count of first-degree attempted murder after deliberation, six lesser charges have been dropped.
The horror crash took place on August 21 2016, and the little boy suffered a broken leg, concussion and a cut to his forehead that required 20 stitches. He has since recovered from his injuries.
According to the district attorney’s office, Weitzel – who admitted to using cocaine at the time of the crash – said that he wanted to kill his son “because being a father was a big responsibility, and he did not think he was man enough to raise a child.”
MOST POPULAR ON YAHOO UK TODAY
- Airborne laser scans find Mayan ‘megalopolis’ under the jungle in Guatemala
- ‘Evasive’ woman jailed after helping paedophile boyfriend to rape schoolgirl twice
- This ‘cartoonish’ sketch released by police may look like a joke – but it actually worked
- Quincy Jones says The Beatles ‘were the worst musicians in the world’
- Watch: Angry commuter demands blind man to move guide dog on tube escalator
- Flat Earth Society issues statement after Elon Musk launched a car into space
Court records state that he had taken Isaiah to the park to play, while he “thought of a way to kill his son”.
After leaving the park, “he drove around looking for a good place to crash the car and kill his son”.
Isaiah’s mother Nancy Lopez, who was separated from Weitzel when the crash happened, said at the time of his arrest: “He’s in the place that he should be. He needs to be in jail for a long time.”
Weitzel will be sentenced on April 3.