Man who attacked four police officers after luring them with fake 999 jailed for 15 years

Joe Gamp
Contributor, Yahoo News UK

A university drop out who lured officers with a bogus 999 call and then carried out a terrifying knife attack has been jailed.

Alex Traykov, 20, of Brighton Road, Redhill, was found guilty of three counts of GBH with intent and one count of attempted GBH at the Old Bailey on April 16.

He was sentenced to 15 years on Friday at the central London court.

Judge Wendy Joseph QC said it was a ‘truly terrifying incident’ which lasted some 20 seconds.

The court heard how on October 6 2018 , police received an emergency call to a house in Liverpool Road, Islington, north London.

Mr Traykov was sentenced to 15 years for the attack on the offiers (MET POLICE)

The caller said that there was a fight in progress between two men and said his name was Soloman.

But there was no fight and police phone enquires revealed the caller was in fact Traykov.

When four officers arrived on the scene, they discovered they were being lured to a deliberate trap.

The man who had called them was waiting and armed with a knife.

CCTV footage later showed the four officers walking up a long stairway, to a house that was dark and apparently quiet.

The knife Traykov used to attack the officers (Met Police)

One of the female officers, PC Said-Ali, rang the front door and it was opened within a matter of seconds by Traykov.

Traykov appeared emotionless and stood with his right hand behind his back.

She warned colleagues that he had something in his hand and, as soon as she said this, Traykov raised his hand revealing a large knife.

Read more on Yahoo News:

Three die on Mount Everest as photo shows long queue of climbers trying to reach summit

Two children dead and four in hospital following 'serious incident' in Sheffield

Boy, 9, dies after being trapped by falling locker at Essex after-school club

He was caught on CCTV bringing the blade down onto the head of Mrs Said-Ali, cutting her raised hand.

Detective Constable Ed Sehmer, of the Central North Command Unit, the officer in the case, said:This whole attack lasted only about 30 seconds, but was a traumatic and terrifying ordeal for officers, who were only going about their duty.

‘Events such as this highlight the courageous work that police do every day, sometimes having to confront violent and dangerous criminals, who are determined to do them harm.

Footage of the incident on CCTV (Met Police)

‘These officers went to help someone they believed was in need of police assistance, not realising they were being lured to a trap and a chilling ambush awaited them.

‘If my colleagues had not reacted so quickly to protect each other, the result of that night could have been deadly.

‘Traykov has now received a significant sentence for his actions, but I am sure that night will linger in the memories of those four officers, who are now back on duty, responding to calls and working to keep London safe.’