Manchester Arena Bomber's Brother Pleads Not Guilty To 22 Counts Of Murder

Sara C Nelson

Manchester Arena bombing suspect Hashem Abedi has indicated through his counsel Zafar Ali QC that he will plead not guilty to 22 counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of conspiracy to cause explosions.

The 22-year-old, who was raised in the city, fled to Libya days before his brother Salman Abedi detonated his suicide vest as pop fans left an Ariana Grande concert, resulting in the deaths of 22 people, while hundreds were left injured.

The names of all 22 victims were read out in court as the charges were put to Abedi.

Hashem Abedi was extradited to the UK on Thursday 

The case was then adjourned until a bail hearing at Oxford Crown Court on Monday.

The hearing lasted 15 minutes.

Mr Ali told the court Abedi had been in solitary confinement since his arrest in Libya two years ago, and had been tortured by the Special Deterrence Force in Tripoli, also known as Rada. He said Abedi was forced to sign a 40-page confession under extreme duress.

Mr Ali said his client did not contest extradition because he wanted to return to the UK to clear his name.

Related...