- New details from Meghan Markle's lawsuit with The Mail on Sunday and its publisher were reported by Byline Investigates, which first broke the story about the duchess's legal proceedings.
- Documents show newly revealed claims from the duchess, which say the Mail on Sunday lied about publishing a full letter Meghan wrote to her father, used questionable tactics with tracking down her father, falsely reported that her Frogmore Cottage home renovation was done with taxpayer money, and published several other inaccurate reports in an alleged attempt to tarnish her reputation.
Last month, it was revealed that Meghan Markle is suing The Mail on Sunday and its parent company, Associated Newspapers, after the outlet published a private letter the duchess wrote to her father, Thomas Markle. The move was "unlawful" and done "in an intentionally destructive manner" to manipulate the audience in a smear campaign against the former actress, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement at the time.
Now, new documents reveal Meghan's further claims, including accusations that The Mail on Sunday lied about publishing the full contents of the letter when, in fact, it "deliberately omitted or suppressed other parts in order to portray a false picture," according to a new report from Byline Investigates.
The duchess also questions the paper's methods in tracking down her father to his home in Mexico and stresses that she doesn't want that to be used as a "vehicle for intruding further into her privacy." Meghan clarifies, however, that her issue is with the publisher, not her dad.
What's more, the documents shut down the Mail's previous "false" reports that Thomas Markle said Meghan didn't ask about his health when he couldn't attend her wedding and denied him financial assistance. In reality, according to the docs, she has a "long history of looking after her father’s welfare and trying to find solutions to any health problems," including providing financial support and having her team in Los Angeles give him continued assistance, which he's expressed gratitude for.
As if that wasn't all messy enough, the duchess's lawyers also shut down inaccurate reports about renovations on Meghan and Harry's house, Frogmore Cottage, which the couple moved into this spring. The Mail said that the refurbishment used taxpayer dollars, when in fact it was subsidized by the queen as part of her financial duties to maintain royal residences, per the legal claims.
The outlet also alleged that the residence's amenities included a tennis court, yoga studio, a copper bathtub, sound proofing, an "orangery," and guest wing for Meghan's mother to stay in—but none of those things exist, the legal documents say.
Numerous other articles with alleged false claims were brought up, including ones that said Meghan grew up a "gang-scarred" home near Compton; that the community kitchen she helped create a cookbook with had connections to jihadi terrorists; and that her favorite snack, avocado, is "fueling human rights abuses, drought and murder."
Byline Investigates's report on the new claims arrive almost a month after the Duchess of Sussex gave a rare, emotional interview about how "challenging" it is to endure the harsh media scrutiny, especially as a pregnant woman earlier this year.
"I really tried to adopt this British sensibility of a stiff upper lip," she said in a documentary released last month. "I tried, I really tried. But I think that what that does internally is probably really damaging."
You Might Also Like