Jen Gerber is directing from a script by David Rysdahl, who is also in the cast as a troubled father who reconnects with his estranged daughter after they find themselves homeless in the middle of a winter storm. Desperate for shelter, the duo returns to his mother’s (Leo) home in rural Minnesota, where they fake an illness in hopes of quickly getting back on their feet. Hala Finley (Man With a Plan) stars as the daughter.
More from Deadline
- Melissa Leo To Headline Fox Pilot 'Blood Relative', Lifting the Cast-Contingency
- 'Atlanta' Star Zazie Beetz Lends Voice To Climate Change-Focused Augmented Reality Experience
- 'Joker' & 'Atlanta's Zazie Beetz Signs With CAA
Producers are Jason Michael Berman (Mediterranea) of Mandalay Pictures and Mark Berger of Play Hooky Productions, along with Bradley Pilz and Datari Turner. Executive producers are Sam Rockwell, Beetz and Will Raynor. The movie will shoot in New Ulm, MN.
“At a time when this country is so politically divided, I’m thrilled to be working with such an incredible cast and crew to deliver a timely story about forgiveness and hope,” said director Gerber.
“Shelter is a screenplay that has deep emotion and universal themes, and it takes us to a part of the country that is not shown often on film,” producers Berman and Berger added. “When we read the script we knew it was a special project that we had to be involved with.”
Leo is represented by CAA and Untitled Entertainment, Beetz and Rysdahl are with CAA and Grandview, and Finley is repped by Paradigm Talent Agency and Doss Talent.
Best of Deadline
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon