The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Thursday that it was assessing a sexual assault allegation made against the Hollywood film producer.
Merseyside Police said it had received a report at 8.40am on Wednesday of an alleged sexual assault in the London area in the 1980s and referred it to Scotland Yard.
A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said: “I can confirm the Met was passed an allegation of sexual assault by Merseyside Police on Wednesday 11 October.
“The allegation will be assessed by officers from Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command.” There is no indication that the allegation relates to child abuse.
It came as police detectives in New York said they were taking a fresh looking into sexual assault allegations against Weinstein.
The New York Police Department said it will conduct a review to determine if there are additional complaints and has encouraged anyone with information to come forward.
Detective Sophia Mason, of the NYPD, said: "Based on information referenced in published news reports, the NYPD is conducting a review to determine if there are any additional complaints relating to the Harvey Weinstein matter.
"No filed complaints have been identified as of this time and as always, the NYPD encourages anyone who may have information pertaining to this matter to call the CrimeStoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS."
The police review follows allegations of rape made by three women against the movie mogul in an article in the New Yorker and a string of sexual harassment allegations from women who worked with him, with model-turned-actress Cara Delevingne and Kate Beckinsale the latest stars to speak out.
Earlier, the movie producer told a pack of reporters outside his daughter’s house in Los Angeles that he hoped for a second chance and that he was “not doing ok” as more celebrities came forward to make allegations against him.
He pleaded for a second chance and said “we all make mistakes".
The producer, who is thought to be on his way to a rehab facility and whose wife has announced she is leaving him, was then driven away.
The comments came after officers were called after a "family dispute" at the home of Weinstein's daughter.
The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) confirmed they were called to reports of a "disturbance" at the house but said no crime had been committed. Weinstein was not there when officers arrived.
An LAPD spokesman said: "At 10.37am Los Angeles Police Department officers responded to the 500 block of North Kilkea Drive at the house of Harvey Weinstein's daughter and were there for a disturbance call.
"Officers arrived and conducted an investigation. It was revealed that there was no crime and it was a family dispute. Officers then left the scene."
Bond actress Lea Seydoux also joined the ranks of Weinstein's accusers, saying she had to defend herself after the director allegedly jumped on her and tried to kiss her.
The French actress, who won the Palme d'Or at Cannes for Blue Is The Warmest Colour, said the movie mogul stared at her "as if I was a piece of meat".
On Tuesday, Weinstein was accused of rape by three women - claims Weinstein "unequivocally denies" - and his British wife Georgina Chapman announced she was leaving him.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which hosts the Oscars, described the sexual abuse allegations against Weinstein as "repugnant" and "abhorrent" and said that it would meet on Saturday to discuss any action to be taken.
Bafta also announced it had suspended his membership.
Rose McGowan, one of the first actresses to be named as an alleged victim, called for the board of the Weinstein Company to be dissolved following the allegations against its co-founder.
Prime Minister Theresa May also spoke out about the scandal on Wednesday.
She said the reports were "deeply concerning" as senior politicians called for Weinstein to be stripped of his CBE.