London crime: Met starts crackdown on street violence as boy, 16, fights for life in Tottenham

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
An unnamed 16-year-old boy was found wounded after officers were called to reports of a stabbing in Adams Road, Tottenham, at just after 2pm on Sunday (PA Archive)
An unnamed 16-year-old boy was found wounded after officers were called to reports of a stabbing in Adams Road, Tottenham, at just after 2pm on Sunday (PA Archive)

A teenage stab victim was fighting for his life on Monday as the Metropolitan Police began a new six-point plan to suppress street violence this summer.

The unnamed 16-year-old boy was found wounded after officers were called to reports of a stabbing in Adams Road, Tottenham, at just after 2pm on Sunday.

He was in a critical condition in hospital on Monday as detectives worked to track down his attacker.

No arrests had been made so far and the Met, which sealed off the scene, said inquiries were “ongoing”.

The six-point plan, drawn up by Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave, seeks to take “more money, drugs and guns off the streets” through a renewed purge on county lines gangs and habitual knife carriers.

There will also be a drive to improve the Met’s detection rate for robbery and other street crimes. Further measures include work with probation officers and others including Mayor Sadiq Khan’s Violence Reduction Unit to intervene early with young people deemed at risk of violence.

Longer-term efforts will also be made with City Hall and councils to improve areas most afflicted by violence with changes to “design out” crime, as well as work with community groups to help them change their neighbourhoods for the better.

Reece Williams, 29, died in hospital after being found with stab wounds in Welland Street, SE10, on Friday.
Reece Williams, 29, died in hospital after being found with stab wounds in Welland Street, SE10, on Friday.

Mr Ephgrave said the aim was to “explore opportunities and take action through meaningful interventions” that will reduce violence.

He added: “The Met is stepping up its operations to suppress and deal with violence as much as we can over the summer, with large-scale operations that will target six strands … to prevent violence from occurring in the first place.

“We will use all resources and tactics available to protect this great city.”

The new police efforts follow a surge in teenage killings this year with 22 deaths so far, including 19 involving a knife. Scotland Yard believes much of the violence is the result of the county lines drugs trade and clashes between gangs competing for territory and custom. It has also expressed concern that resentments that festered during the coronavirus restrictions could fuel further violence.

Meanwhile, as police continued their search for evidence after the Tottenham attack, detectives charged a man with the murder of Reece Williams, a 29-year-old father of two who died from stab wounds after being found in Welland Street, Greenwich, close to the Cutty Sark, shortly after 1am last Friday morning.

Robbie Munoz, 20, from Wallington, was appearing at Bexley magistrates’ court charged with the murder and with threatening a person with a bladed article.

Tributes left at the crime scene to the construction worker included one message which read: “To my baby brother Reece. I am heartbroken, may you rest in eternal peace.

“The brightest star in the sky shine bright. The best brother, father and an absolute gent.”

Read More

Terrorist released from jail despite fears over ‘extremist views’, inquest told

Boy, 16, fighting for life after being stabbed in Tottenham park

Two arrested as police seek help finding 71-year-old woman

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting