Missing Jay Slater's mum issues new statement in update on Tenerife search

Debbie Duncan pictured with her son Jay Slater
-Credit: (Image: Facebook)


Jay Slater's mum has issued an update to worried friends, family and the public as the search for her missing son continues in Tenerife.

Local authorities recently called off an official search of a remote mountainous area where Jay's phone last pinged before all trace of the apprentice bricklayer was lost on June 17.

Jay's mum, Debbie Duncan, along with friends and family, continue to search the area themselves and have revealed a hiking group is planning out routes for a "wonderful group locals" volunteering their time to help find him.

READ MORE: Edinburgh woman arrested after police called to 'disturbance' at Lidl supermarket

READ MORE: Edinburgh man rushed to hospital after smash as road closed and buses diverted

Debbie has also revealed 'experienced groups' have now contacted the family in order to help with the search with Jay having been missing for almost three weeks after reportedly attempting to walk home to his accommodation late at night.

Jay had met new friends and was left by two mates he was on holiday with, but called one of them, Lucy Law, to tell her his phone was running out of battery and he needed water in what was the last time anyone has heard from him.

As the Manchester Evening News reports, volunteers continue to help search for Jay, with Debbie updating a GoFundMe page set up to contribute towards the family's expenses. She said: "Hello everyone, I wanted to give you all an update on our continued efforts to find our Jay.

"We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and support we have received and would like to thank the local hiking group for all of their help planning the routes to find our Jay. We have been contacted by a wonderful group of locals who have volunteered to continue the search.

No caption
Jay Slater has been missing for almost three weeks. -Credit:No credit

"While they don't wish to accept financial help for their search, we will be supporting them with supplies and are so grateful for their willingness to help.

"We also continue to be contacted by experienced groups offering to support our search. We are busy talking to them about what they can do to assist. But in order for us to employ their help, they need to have permission from the Spanish authorities.

"We will be sure to keep you all updated on our progress and are so grateful for your continued support to bring our boy home. Please keep sharing and supporting our fundraiser however you can."

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

Jay, from Lancashire, was last seen leaving an Airbnb in the north of the island, close to the village of Masca, at around 8am on the morning of June 17.

The teenager, who was on holiday with his pals Lucy Law, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, had previously been partying at the Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas, before leaving the event with two British men to go back to the rented property.

His last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the Canary Island - which was about an 11-hour walk back to his accommodation.

Join Edinburgh Live's Whatsapp Community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages

On June 30, they said officers would continue to act on any tip-offs or other information that came in but the active work that has been ongoing since the apprentice bricklayer was reported missing would cease.

Detectives, meanwhile, have told a judge they have found no evidence of a crime in relation to Jay's disappearance and are treating it as a missing persons inquiry.