Mohamed Mussa: Dutch man pulled from the Thames had ‘blunt force’ injuries to the head

·2-min read
Mohamed Mussa (Metropolitan Police)
Mohamed Mussa (Metropolitan Police)

A young man whose body was recovered from the Thames had suffered “blunt force” injuries and had been in a row with a group of men before he was found, an inquest has heard.

Mohamed Mussa, 27, was reported missing by his partner on October 17.

The Dutch national, who lived in Wandsworth, was last seen walking alone and was wearing a navy trench coat, light blue shirt, dark trousers and canvas trainers.

His body was spotted in the river by rowers near on October 19, the opening of the inquest at West London Coroner’s Court heard. The hearing was told that he had an “altercation” with a group and that there had been “unusual activity” on his bank account.

Senior coroner Chinyere Inyama said that after being spotted by the rowers a lifeboat crew transported his body to Chiswick Pier.

He told the court: “There was lots of blood coming from the back of his head that was going into the river.

“There were scratch marks on the neck… he was known to have had an altercation with some males. There was some unusual activity on his bank account.”

He said that as well as “blunt force injuries to the back of the head” he had “bruising to the larynx”.

The coroner told the hearing that a post mortem carried out by Dr Robert Chapman had failed to find a conclusive cause of death.

However, his report found that Mr Mussa’s lungs were swelled by water and he had multiple injuries around his body including on his chest.

The inquest was a adjourned until February 4.

Detective Chief Inspector Jim Shirley, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “Our last sighting of Mohamed is of him walking past Simmons bar on Putney High Street towards Putney Bridge at 5.29am on Sunday October 17.

‘We are confident he did not turn left down Lower Richmond Road or cross over the road towards the church and cinema, but are not clear on his next steps and we are now asking for the public’s help in trying to ascertain exactly what happened.”

In a previous appeal the police reported that the last shown sighting of Mussa was at 4.02am on October 17, leaving Le Fez nightclub in Putney.

Read More

Family call for Thames hero Jimi to be honoured ahead of inquest

Queen rests at Windsor with no major public engagements planned for rest of 2021

Pictured: Boy, 16, stabbed to death in Hounslow over ‘Gucci bag’

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting