Moment murderer was arrested in Exeter city centre

Footage has shown the moment Cameron Davis was detained by police and told he was being arrested on suspicion of murder. He has today (July 9) been found guilty of murdering Exeter grandmother Lorna England as she walked through a park on February 28, 2023.

Davis, 31 of Exeter Road, Exmouth, had called police at 4:40am that morning, saying he would kill himself or burn down the guesthouse where he was staying if they didn't arrest him. Emergency services attended the scene and he was taken to hospital to be assessed.

A trial heard that Davis told mental health specialists at the hospital that he wanted to kill someone and was informed that if he did so, it would be considered a pre-meditated crime. Davis responded by saying that police wouldn't be able to pin it on him. It was decided that that he didn’t need to be hospitalised under the Mental Health Act and at 12:49pm, he left the hospital.

He then purchased various items from McColl's and Lidl on Burnthouse Lane, including bottles of vodka and a kitchen knife, before spending a considerable amount of time in the Wonford Sports Centre.

⚠️ Want the latest Devon breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join our WhatsApp group. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice ⚠️

At 3:50pm Lorna left Lidl, where she had been to buy flour, and began her journey home across Ludwell Valley Park. Davis followed her into a wooded area of the park where he attacked her, inflicting multiple knife wounds, including a fatal stab wound to her chest.

Footage has shown the moment Cameron Davis was detained by police
Footage has shown the moment Cameron Davis was detained by police

As he walked away from the scene, he was confronted by a member of the public, who had witnessed the attack. She said that Davis told her Lorna was having a fit and needed help. The woman stayed with Lorna while she called emergency services. Despite the best efforts of all those at the scene, the 74-year-old was pronounced dead at 4:44pm.

Davis then made various stops at pubs in the Heavitree and Wonford area, where he borrowed strangers' phones to makes calls and texts to his mother. He was later spotted by CCTV operators in the High Street, who alerted police to his whereabouts. He was arrested at around 9:30pm.

Footage taken by a member of the public shows Davis crying out while being detained by police. Today, police have released body-worn footage, during which he tells officers he has had two bottles of vodka and "did that thing earlier".

When officers tell him he is being arrested on suspicion of murder, Davis asks: "She didn't die, did she? Please tell me she didn't die. You f***ing c***s. You f***ing c***s. I warned you."

In the weeks leading up to the murder, Davis had reported his mental health had deteriorated, claiming he was hearing voices. He had been assessed by psychiatrists on January 28 but they decided that he did not need to be sectioned.

His housing support team at East Devon District Council served an eviction notice on him on February 16, fearing he posed a safety risk. They told the trial how he had become fixated with one housing support worker and had threatened to "smash her head in".

During the trial, the prosecution said that Davis was angry and manipulative, a state which was worsened by his use of alcohol and drugs, but not psychotic. The defence said he was suffering from a severe schizoaffective disorder.

Cameron Davis has been found guilty of murder
Cameron Davis has been found guilty of murder -Credit:Devon & Cornwall Police

Speaking outside court after today's verdict, Lorna's son Richard described Davis as "an angry and manipulative liar, an individual who reacts aggressively when he does not get his own way". He said he felt that Lorna had been forgotten and wanted people to remember his mother as a "loving, young-at-heart, beautiful, gentle, fun-loving and kind" mother, grandmother and wife.

DI Dave Egan also spoke outside court and said that Devon & Cornwall Police believed it could have been anyone who was attacked that day.