Margaret Lynch, 49, was chopping the beans when she found 12 needles or metal spikes seemingly inserted inside the beans, which she feels could have been inserted deliberately before arriving at the Glasgow store.
In a complaint to Morrisons, Margaret said she was ‘totally shocked and disgusted’ by what she found in the vegetables, which she later returned to her local store in Glasgow.
Margaret said: “I won’t be buying green beans again – I could have injured my mouth.
“The ones I bought came on a stalk, so I can’t imagine this was done by another customer, I think it’s from the growers because they were hidden right inside.
“There’s no way a customer could have got in there and put things inside without there being more obvious warnings. Some poor child or pensioner could have been seriously injured.”
Cancer survivor Sarah Parry, 41, only realised there was a sharp metal needle in her meal after it stabbed into her gums while she was eating.
The mum-of-three from Manchester, said: “I’ve just got over cancer and as a result I lost a lot of my teeth. I chew with my front teeth and luckily I didn’t swallow the needle.
“My mouth is very sensitive and I bit into the green bean and it was there in the centre. It stabbed me in the gum.
“I dread to think if it was my four-year-old little girl who had been eating it or another child. It could have gone down my throat and punctured an organ.”
Sarah described the needle as being “around two and a half inches and a bit thicker than a normal sewing needle”.
She added: “Because I threw the others away straight after, I wouldn’t know if there were others but they could have been in the rest of the pack too.”
After buying and returning the vegetables on Tuesday to the Chadderton store in Greater Manchester, Sarah says she returned on Wednesday to find that green beans with the same date were still on the shelves.
Sarah had been informed by the manager that they would look into the case and was offered a £5 voucher for the inconvenience, however she is now angry after finding she wasn’t the only customer to find the needles.
Sarah said: “They shouldn’t be having them on the shelves at all.”
A Morrisons spokesperson said: “We have been made aware of two incidents involving metal being found in two packets of green beans.
“The health and safety of our customers is our top priority, so as a precaution, we are recalling the products and are continuing with our investigation. The relevant authorities have been informed and we are also talking to the two customers.”
The Food Standards Agency have issued a product recall warning urging customers with Morrisons Trimmed Beans 170g dated from April 22 – 24 2017 to return them to the store for a full refund.