Motherwell 2, Livingston 1: Halliday pulls the strings in Well win

Motherwell's Andy Halliday and Danny Finlayson of Livingston tussle for the ball during their friendly at Fir Park
-Credit: (Image: SNS Group)

Motherwell ran out worthy winners in their pre-season friendly against Livingston at Fir Park this afternoon.

Livingston, relegated from the Premiership last season, didn't put up too much of a fight against their Lanarkshire hosts, who were 2-0 up by the interval.

Motherwell looked lively in stages, with both of their two first-half goals set up by clever play from Andy Halliday.

Shane Blaney put Motherwell ahead in 29 minutes with an excellent goal that was clearly the result of training ground work, with Moses Ebiye doubling that lead 10 minutes later.

Tete Yengi halved the deficit following a sustained period of Livingston pressure in 59 minutes.

Motherwell boss Stuart Kettlewell handed a home start to defender Liam Gordon.

Shane Blaney scores to put Motherwell ahead against Livingston
Shane Blaney scores to put Motherwell ahead against Livingston -Credit:SNS Group

His Livingston counterpart David Martindale started new signings Robbie Muirhead and Danny Finlayson, while Reece McAlear started as a trialist, and Ryan McGowan was under the same banner on the bench.

Dylan Wells had a shot blocked by Livi keeper Shamal George in three minutes, kicking his low effort clear.

Andy Halliday nearly sent Moses Ebiye through on goal in seven minutes, but his pass was well blocked by Michael Nottingham.

Stephen O'Donnell had a header saved at the right post in 21 minutes, leading to a corner, but Livingston cleared it comfortably enough.

Livingston went close in 25 minutes when Robbie Muirhead tried his luck with a 20-yard free kick from just outside the right corner of the box, but it was a confident catch by Aston Oxborough.

Moses Ebiye nets the rebound from Andy Halliday's free kick to double Motherwell's lead
Moses Ebiye nets the rebound from Andy Halliday's free kick to double Motherwell's lead -Credit:SNS Group

Motherwell took the lead in 29 minutes when Halliday's free kick from the left flank was confidently side-footed against Shamal George and into the left corner by Blaney.

Dylan Wells went close with a cheeky flick in 36 minutes, but George saved well at the right corner.

Motherwell doubled their lead in 39 minutes when Halliday's free kick from just outside the right edge of the box was saved by George, but Ebiye rammed in the rebound.

Stephen Kelly fired a free kick over from just outside the left edge of the box in 55 minutes.

Livingston pulled a goal back in 59 minutes when Muirhead's free kick was headed by Danny Finlayson, which was parried, but Tete Yengi forced in the rebound.

Motherwell and Livingston then both made a number of changes, as is customary in these games.

Livingston should have levelled in 78 minutes when Trialist mugged Davor Zdravkovski and made his way into the box, but curled his shot just wide of the left post.

MOTHERWELL: Oxborough, O'Donnell, Gordon, Casey, Blaney, Wilson, Halliday, Miller, Paton, Wells, Ebiye.

Subs: Hegyi (GK), Seddon, Balmer, Zdravkovski, Sparrow, Stuparevic, M. Ross, L. Ross, Ferrie, McDermott.

LIVINGSTON: George, Trialist, Trialist, Pittman, Yengi, Stephen Kelly, Muirhead, Finlayson, Montano, Brandon, Nottingham.

Subs: Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Sharp, Trialist (McGowan), Trialist, Trialist, Culbert, Trialist.

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport on X via @LanLiveSport, like us on Facebook or find us on Instagram for the latest sports news, pictures and video.