Motorcyclist dies in crash after police pursuit in central London

Police forensics officers at the scene of a fatal collision on Tottenham Court Road, central London
The crash took place in Tottenham Court Road - Lucy North/PA

A motorcyclist died when he crashed into a taxi after being pursued by police officers in central London.

Scotland Yard said the man was declared dead at the scene of the collision in Tottenham Court Road, near to Warren Street tube station, shortly before 7am on Monday.

A pillion passenger who was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries was arrested after being found in possession of a machete.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched an investigation alongside the Metropolitan Police’s directorate of professional standards (DPS).

A motorbike is lifted from the scene of a fatal collision on Tottenham Court Road
A motorbike is lifted from the scene - Lucy North/PA

The Metropolitan Police said two patrol officers on marked police motorcycles began a pursuit after a motorcycle ridden by two men travelled through a red light on Oxford Street at around 6.45am.

The motorcycle was followed into Tottenham Court Road before it crashed with a taxi and “street furniture”.

A spokesman for Scotland Yard said: “Officers provided first aid prior to the arrival of ambulance colleagues. Despite their efforts, the rider of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene. The man’s family will be supported by specialist officers.”

Police have launched an investigation into the crash
Police have launched an investigation into the crash - Lucy North/PA

The injured pillion passenger was found to be in possession of a machete.

He was arrested before being taken to hospital for treatment to leg and arm injuries.

The spokesman added: “The Met’s DPS launched an investigation alongside colleagues from the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command.

“The IOPC have been informed and we are advised that they have launched an independent investigation.”

An IOPC spokesman said: “After being notified by the MPS, we have sent investigators to the scene and to the police post-incident procedure to begin our enquiries.

“Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragic incident.”