A young mum nearly died after catching a flesh-eating bug – while playing DODGEBALL.
Lesley Kane, 35, was left with a tiny graze on her chest after she was hit by a ball playing the game made famous by hit 2004 movie Dodgeball.
But four days later she was rushed to hospital while on holiday in the Netherlands where doctors discovered she was suffering from sepsis and a bacterial infection called Necrotising fasciitis – a deadly flesh-eating bug.
Mum-of-two Lesley was taken into intensive care and underwent a series of operations to remove her left breast, as well as parts of her torso and back.
She fought her way back from the brink of death but is still struggling to recover six months on.
Lesley, from Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, hadn’t realised anything was wrong until she fell ill after arriving in the Netherlands and was rushed to hospital.
She said: “The doctors tried to establish what was wrong with me. They knew it was blood poisoning but they didn’t know what was causing it. After various tests and scans, they realised that I had contracted that bacteria.”
The graze itself on Lesley’s chest was so tiny she hadn’t noticed it.
She said: “I was being killed by a flesh-eating bug. My body was shutting down at this point. The doctors said there was a 12-hour window and that if they did not operate I was going to die.
“They removed part of my chest, they cut a T-shape from shoulder to shoulder and then removed my left breast, part of my torso and my side down to my hip.”
Lesley spent nine days in intensive care fighting for her life and finally awoke on August 15.
She went on to spend two months in medical care having to relearn basic day-to-day activities such as walking, writing, and even brushing her teeth.
“The doctors don’t know how I managed to survive, I shouldn’t be here really,” she added.
“I came back to Scotland but wasn’t able to go back to my life as it was before. I’m still not quite there. I feel my mind is 100% on it but my body just can’t keep up with me.”
Lesley paid tribute to the support she has received from friends and family and said she wants to share her story to warn others that even the slightest health issues can develop into serious conditions.