Murder investigation launched after woman dies following house fire

Cooper Street, Nelson <i>(Image: Google)</i>
Cooper Street, Nelson (Image: Google)

A man has been arrested and a murder inquiry launched after a woman died following a house fire.

Detectives are now asking for help to try and establish the circumstances surrounding her death.

The police were called around 8.25pm last Wednesday (November 23) by the fire service to a report of a fire at a property in Nelson.

Emergency services attended an address in Cooper Street, where a woman in her 40s was found unresponsive and a man in his 50s with a leg injury.

Both were taken to hospital but the woman later died. The man was discharged.

The cause of the woman's death is still to be determined.

Following a number of further enquiries, this morning (Tuesday, November 29) officers arrested a 57-year-old man from Nelson on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody.

An joint investigation into exactly how the fire started remains ongoing between the police and fire service.

Detective Chief Inspector Allen Davies, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “My thoughts first and foremost are with the woman who has sadly died and her loved ones.

"Our investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death are ongoing and I would appeal to anyone who has seen any unusual activity at the address over the past few days or weeks, or anyone who has any concerns about anything they may have seen or heard at the address, to get in touch.

"I would also be keen to hear from anyone who may have any CCTV or other footage which might show the address and people entering and leaving.

“Please do get in touch with us if you have any information, however insignificant you may think it is.

"It could hold the key in helping us find out exactly what has happened and establishing the circumstances around this lady’s death so that we can give her family some answers.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting log 1190 of November 23.