After the disaster last Thursday, every Labour party member should be receiving Claire Ainsley’s book The New Working Class for Christmas to find out where they have been going wrong. Members of Momentum should read it twice in case they don’t get it first time.
Ampleforth, North Yorkshire
• To understand the lives and aspirations of people in “the north”, we do indeed need our institutions and leaders to be based here. Maybe the Guardian should set the pace by coming home to Manchester?
Cheadle Hulme, Manchester
• Mr Johnson is adamant there will be no referendum for an independent Scotland for a generation. If the Scots declare independence unilaterally, is he going to send in the army?
• How depressing that your front-page headline “Next stop, Brexit” (14 December) could not have been “Next, stop Brexit”.
• Isn’t the description “remainer” now defunct? We now have to start describing ourselves as “rejoiner”.
Binley Woods, Warwickshire
• I find myself writing in my cards this year “Let’s get Christmas done!” Am I broken?
• At least there’s the consolation prize of five more years of unparalleled lampooning and fun from John Crace and Marina Hyde.
• Join the debate – email email@example.com
• Read more Guardian letters – click here to visit gu.com/letters
• Do you have a photo you’d like to share with Guardian readers? Click here to upload it and we’ll publish the best submissions in the letters spread of our print edition