- Kids on their own among migrants who arrived in Indonesia MARGIE MASON - Associated Press - 5 hours ago
KUALA CANGKOI, Indonesia (AP) — It was just the two of them, brother and sister, out on the open ocean with hundreds of other desperate migrants, mostly Rohingya Muslims fleeing their homes in Myanmar. For nearly three months, the siblings comforted each other when rolling waves thrashed their boat, when their empty bellies …
- Redford to college graduates: World needs you; be fearless Associated Press - 8 hours ago
WATERVILLE, Maine (AP) — Two-time Academy Award winner Robert Redford is encouraging college graduates to be fearless in a world of challenges and to become collaborators with others and the environment to overcome life's daunting difficulties.
- Cunard liners return to Liverpool Press Association - 10 hours ago
- When fishermen rescue migrants – and nations the Monitor's Editorial Board - Christian Science Monitor - 10 hours ago
By the very nature of their profession, the fishermen of Southeast Asia are often quite low in social status. With an empathy born of their humility, they have rescued hundreds of people fleeing persecution or acute poverty in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Thailand, too, has been forced to show more compassion.
- Libya pro-government raid hits oil tanker: report AFP - AFP - 16 hours ago
- Navy divers to help raise confederate warship artifacts BROCK VERGAKIS - Associated Press - 17 hours ago
- Politics in paradise: Alabama governor mansion in disrepair JAY REEVES - Associated Press - 17 hours ago
- Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes north of Tonga - USGS Reuters - 18 hours ago
(Reuters) - A magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck 216 km (135 miles) north-northwest of the capital of Tonga in the Pacific Ocean on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake, initially reported as a magnitude 6.7, struck at 1439 GMT (1839 BST). Its epicentre was recorded as 35 km below the seabed. (Editing by David …
- Nepalese river blocked by landslide flowing again By Gopal Sharma - Reuters - 18 hours ago
By Gopal Sharma KATHMANDU (Reuters) - A river dammed up by a huge landslide in Nepal's northwest has begun flowing again but the risks of flash floods are not over yet, police said on Sunday. The landslide at Ramche village in Myagdi district, about 140 km (90 miles) northwest of Kathmandu, struck on Saturday night and …
- Thousands flee after landslide blocks Nepal river AFP - AFP - 20 hours ago
- Global ocean racers heading for another tight finish Associated Press - 21 hours ago
ALICANTE, Spain (AP) — The six boats of the Volvo Ocean Race are heading for another very close finish in the seventh leg, with Dutch competitor Team Brunel holding a tiny lead Sunday.
- Residents along Blanco River in Texas urged to evacuate Associated Press - Sun, May 24, 2015
WIMBERLEY, Texas (AP) — Authorities say they are urging residents in a small Central Texas community to evacuate as the nearby Blanco River continues to rise and cause flooding.
- Thousands evacuated in Nepal after landslide blocks river Associated Press - Sun, May 24, 2015
KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Thousands of people fled villages and towns along a mountain river in northwest Nepal on Sunday after it was blocked by a landslide that could burst and cause flash floods, officials said.
- California farmers agree to cut water use. Enough to stem the drought? Brad Knickerbocker - Christian Science Monitor - Sat, May 23, 2015
As drought-stricken Californians came under orders to curb urban water use – up to 36 percent in some communities, thank you very much Gov. Jerry Brown – all eyes turned to farmers. On Friday, the State Water Resources Control Board approved a proposal from riparian water right holders in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River …
- Colorado city going dark this weekend to help stargazers Associated Press - Sat, May 23, 2015
TELLURIDE, Colo. (AP) — Telluride residents were asked to turn out the lights on Saturday night and early Sunday to help stargazers see the night sky free of light pollution.
- Peter Robinson In Hospital With 'Heart Problem'Sky News - 7 minutes ago
- Soldier Launches Army Base Attack On ComradesSky News - 16 minutes ago
- Diver Fails To Resurface In English ChannelSky News - 55 minutes ago
- Sydney Gunman Was Lying Narcissist - InquestSky News - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
- Mass Graves Found At Malaysia Trafficking CampsSky News - 1 hour 8 minutes ago