NBA playoffs: Jaylen Brown, Georges Niang issued double technicals after contact from 76ers bench

Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown and Philadelphia 76ers forward Georges Niang were issued double technical fouls after contact on the bench during Sunday's Game 7 Boston victory.

The incident took place midway through the second quarter. Brown fell into the 76ers' bench after reaching to save a rebound from going out of bounds off a 76ers miss. He tapped the ball to teammate Robert Williams who threw an outlet pass to Jayson Tatum for a Celtics break. But Brown and Williams didn't join their teammates in transition.

Brown remained in the backcourt and yelled at the 76ers' bench with Williams at his side. Referee Scott Foster whistled Brown for a technical foul. Brown protested, and officials went to the replay monitor.

Jaylen Brown protests being called for a technical foul. (Winslow Townson/Reuters)
Jaylen Brown protests being called for a technical foul. (Winslow Townson/Reuters)

The replay showed Niang make contact with Brown's body after Brown fell into the Philadelphia bench. Niang was not in the game. As Brown regained his balance, Niang reached out with his right hand near Brown's waist. Niang then maintained contact with Brown's leg as Brown turned upcourt to rejoin play. That's when Brown turned around to confront the 76ers bench.

After replay review, Foster announced that both Niang and Brown were assessed technicals. Niang was issued a technical for "grabbing the leg of Brown by the bench." Brown was issued a technical with Foster determining that he "then taunted the bench unnecessarily."

Boston retained possession after the double technical ruling, while neither team was awarded a free throw. Philadelphia led 35-33 at the time. Willams tied the game at 35-35 with a layup on the ensuing Boston possession.

The incident was part of a tension-filled first half between the longtime rivals while the game was still close. The Celtics blew things open in the second half behind Tatum's Game 7 record 51 points to advance to the Eastern Conference finals with a 112-88 win.