Newcastle man admits being in charge of XL Bully that attacked two children and teen

Elswick Park in Newcastle
-Credit: (Image: Craig Connor/ChronicleLive)


A man has admitted being in charge of two dangerous dogs that attacked and injured two children and a teenager.

Simon Conroy was walking two dogs - one of which was an XL Bully - in Newcastle on May 2 last year when they attacked an eight-year-old, a 10-year-old and an 18-year-old. The youngest child sustained significant injuries to their face and legs, with the other youth sustaining bites across their body.

Conroy attempted to "regain control" of the dogs, Rocco and Diesel, and in interview with police was said to be "emotional". He was later charged with three counts of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control causing injury.

This week, the 42-year-old of Somerset Place, Newcastle, appeared at Newcastle Magistrates' Court where he pleaded guilty to the offences. He will be sentenced next month.

The court heard that the three victims were playing in Elswick Park as Conroy was walking his dogs, Diesel and Rocco. Lucy Todd, prosecuting, said: "The two dogs have attacked them from behind. The eight-year-old sustained significant injury to the face, legs and other parts of the body.

"The 10-year-old suffered bites across the body and the 18-year-old suffered injuries to her legs. One dog was an XL Bully, the other dog has not been classified." The court was told that Conroy "did make attempts to regain control".

Jack Lovell, defending, said: "[Conroy] did everything he could to regain control of the dogs. He was very emotional in interview and takes full responsibility." Mr Lovell added that an expert will soon be assessing Diesel and asked the magistrates to order a pre-sentence report.

Conroy will return to the court on Wednesday, July 17 at 10am to be sentenced. He was granted unconditional bail until his next court appearance.