NEWCASTLE United are working with Italian police after reports circulating on social media suggesting a fan was stabbed last night.
It has been claimed that the fan was one of a group walking in the Navigli neighbourhood near the centre of Milan last night.
More than 5,000 Newcastle fans are in the Italian city to support Eddie Howe's side against AC Milan in the Champions League tonight.
It has been reposted that a group of Newcastle fans were attacked at about midnight last night.
One of the Newcastle fans is believed to have been stabbed three times. Pictures circulating on social media show a man with a bloodied torso lying on the ground and being treated at the scene.
He is understood to have been treated in hospital, but the injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
Milano Today reported that the man had been stabbed twice in the arm and once in the back and was taken to hospital where his condition was improving.
Sky News are reporting that the fan is 58-year-old Eddie McKay.
His daughter Rachel told Sky: “My dad is stable but in shock. He is gutted he's missing the match but just wants every other Newcastle fan out there to be aware of this and be safe.
"He just had two knee replacements so he fell when he was being chased and that is when he was attacked. I'm flying out there.”
A spokesperson for Newcastle United said: “We are deeply concerned by reports that a supporter was seriously assaulted in Milan on Monday evening and we are liaising with local authorities to understand the circumstances.
“Our thoughts are with the supporter and their family and we hope for a full and speedy recovery.”
We wil update this story whe more details emerge.