Newcastle United 'lodge' £16m bid for Burnley star as Chelsea and Liverpool weigh up options


Newcastle United are rumoured to have tabled a £16m bid for Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford.

The 21-year-old made 28 appearances for Burnley last season in the Premier League, with Vincent Kompany's side eventually relegated back to the second tier. Trafford was called up as part of England's initial 33-man squad before Gareth Southgate was forced to trim him and six others ahead of Euro 2024.

According to MailSport, Newcastle are hoping to beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern Munich to sign the talented shot-stopper, as they look to provide further competition for Nick Pope ahead of next season. Martin Dubvraka seems set to leave the club as he seeks first-team opportunities and Loris Karius will depart upon the expiry of his deal on June 30.

READ MORE: Yankuba Minteh transfer latest: Liverpool interest, Eddie Howe's stance and player's future hint

READ MORE: Newcastle United Adidas kit launch LIVE as fans queue up to get new strip

The report also states how Burnley are holding out for a fee closer to £20m after signing Trafford from Manchester City last summer for £19m. He impressed as England won the Under-21 European Championships, going through the entirety of the tournament without conceding a goal.

The Magpies are said to be watching their spending with an eagle eye given their previous exploits, with Financial Fair Play and the Premier League's stringent Profitability and Sustainability Rulings looming large this summer.

“I think it’s almost impossible because of Financial Fair Play rules,” Howe said on any potential big incoming at St James' Park earlier this year. “Any player that we lose from our squad, we’ll have to replace. So that costs a lot of money—to find elite Premier League players. In terms of trading, of course, I’m sure there will be trading, but I’m not sure how much.”