What next for Ventnor loos handed back to Isle of Wight Council?

·2-min read
The public toilets on Marlborough Road, Ventnor. Picture by Google Maps.
The public toilets on Marlborough Road, Ventnor. Picture by Google Maps.

A PUBLIC toilet in the centre of Ventnor is to be given back to the Isle of Wight Council.

Instead, the town council is building new accessible ones in the central car park.

To save £500,000, the Isle of Wight Council decided in 2015 to close its public toilets across the Island.

A number of town, parish and community councils stepped up to take over the management of the toilets to keep them open.

Ventnor Town Council agreed to take on three public toilets, owning two — the Esplanade and Ventnor Park — and leasing one.

Due to the flat above the Marlborough Road toilets, the town council chose to lease them from the Isle of Wight Council, in a 125-year agreement.

The town council has since started building a new, accessible toilet in the Central Car Park and have agreed they no longer need the Marlborough Road site.

Isle of Wight County Press: The plans for the new toilets.
Isle of Wight County Press: The plans for the new toilets.

The plans for the new toilets.

Speaking at their meeting earlier this month, mayor of Ventnor, Steve Cockett, said it would be a great shame to see the toilets given back, with a little bit of history going.

They would not, he said, miss the high utility costs and the acts of vandalism that had previously seen the toilets close over the years.

Cllr Cockett pointed out, as they are up a steep hill, they are not as accessible as the new toilets in the flat car park.

Isle of Wight County Press: The car park where the toilets will be built. (Picture: Google Maps)
Isle of Wight County Press: The car park where the toilets will be built. (Picture: Google Maps)

The car park where the toilets will be built. (Picture: Google Maps)

To hand the toilets back to the Isle of Wight Council, Ventnor will need to issue a break notice, which will take six months to come into effect.

Councillors did raise concerns about issuing the notice too soon just in case there were problems with the building of the new facilities that would delay its July opening date.

Others also suggested the council retain them over the summer for tourists and at least wait until children have gone back to school.

It was agreed by the town council, to issue the break notice so the Isle of Wight Council regains control of the toilets on October 1.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting