• Home
  • Mail
  • News
  • Sport
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Style
  • Weather
  • Answers
  • Flickr
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Mail
    News Home
    Follow us
    • UK
    • Yahoo Originals
    • World
    • Finance
    • Sport
    • Motoring
    • Science & Tech
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Movies
    • Style
    • Weather
    • News Video
    • Viral

    Boko Haram 'To Sell' Abducted Nigerian Girls

    Sky News6 May 2014

    The kidnapping of more than 200 Nigerian girls is an "outrage" according to the United States, which has promised help to try to find them.

    The pledge came after the children's Islamist kidnapper reportedly vowed to sell them.

    In a video obtained by the AFP news agency, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau described the students as "slaves," adding: "I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah."

    At least 276 youngsters were seized from their school in the village of Chibok, in Borno state, north Nigeria, by militants on April 14.

    Nigerian police said 53 managed to escape shortly after the attack, but at least 223 are still missing. Relatives suggest that figure could be considerably higher.

    White House spokesman Jay Carney said: "We view what has happened in Nigeria as an outrage and a terrible tragedy.

    "The President has been briefed, several times, and his national security team continues to monitor the situation there closely.

    "The State Department has been in regular touch with the Nigerian government about what we might do to support its efforts to find and free these young women."

    Reports previously said some of the missing girls have already been sold as brides across Nigeria's border with Chad and Cameroon for as little as £7 ($12).

    It is not clear whether the video was recorded before or after those reports.

    The video was the first time Boko Haram - regarded by the US as a terrorist organisation - has admitted carrying out the abduction.

    The group, whose name means 'Western education is sinful', regularly attacks civilian targets.

    However, the brazenness of the school attack has shocked Nigerians accustomed to atrocities in the five-year conflict with the insurgents.

    A group called Bring Back Our Girls, comprising relatives of the missing students, have staged regular protests across Nigeria calling for the government and military to do more to find the girls.

    Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said: "We promise that anywhere the girls are, we'll surely get them out."

    He said he had asked the US, Britain, France and China for help to counter Boko Haram and dismissed claims his government was negotiating with the group.

    It came amid claims that protest leader Naomi Mutah Nyadar was arrested after holding a meeting with Nigeria's First Lady, Patience Jonathan, at the presidential palace. 

    Fellow protester Hadiza Bala Usman said Ms Nyadar was arrested "at the request of the first lady" after falsely identifying herself as one of the mothers of the girls.

    Another, Lawan Abana, said Ms Nyadar was in fact representing mothers who could not make it to the meeting in Nigeria's capital Abuja and had never claimed otherwise.

    Protester Saratu Angus Ndirpaya added that Patience Jonathan had abused the women gathered at the presidential palace and expressed doubts there was any kidnapping. She also allegedly accused them of belonging to Boko Haram.

    The first lady's office has issued a statement denying the allegations.

    Ms Nyadar has since reportedly been released.

    What to read next

    • Boko Haram using babies to avoid detection in Nigeria suicide bombings

      International Business Times
    • Nigerian musician Femi Kuti urges stars, fans to focus on Boko Haram victims

      Reuters
    • Islamist terror groups in Nigeria are now using babies in suicide bombing attacks, say officials

      The Independent
    • Ewan McGregor snubs Piers Morgan Good Morning Britain interview over Women's March comments

      Yahoo Movies UK
    • Ukraine says Russian sanctions must stay, rejects talk of Trump deal

      Reuters
    • Government lose Supreme Court Brexit appeal

      ITN
    • These are the world's most adulterous countries

    • Melania Trump just 'an object' to her husband, body language expert says

      The Independent
    • Restoration in action: The £3.5m journey to get historic Lancaster bomber back in the sky

    • China says it will not back down on South China Sea

      AFP
    • Women across the world stage global protests against US President Trump

      News Video
    • President Donald Trump's America will withdraw from the world

      Sky News
    • Pictures of the week: Bikes, bridges and birthdays

    • Oscars 2017: The full list of nominations

      Yahoo Movies UK
    • ABC Apologizes for Incorrectly Listing Tom Hanks, Amy Adams as Oscar Nominees

      The Wrap
    • In pictures: The nine tech trends set to go mainstream in 2017

    • Foreign powers back Syria truce deal, war erupts among rebels

      Reuters
    • Pups rescued in boiler room of Italy avalanche hotel

      ITN
    • Airline pilot reveals what frightens him most about flying and the worst thing passengers can do in an emergency

      The Independent
    • Turned OFF! These are the most complained-about adverts in 2016

    • Kirsty Young reveals her favourite Desert Island Discs guest

      SNAPPA Celebrity
    • Pound slips back as markets react to Brexit ruling

      Sky News
    • All lit up: Winter Lights Festival illuminates Canary Wharf

    • Bank of England to keep rates on hold until 2019 at least - Reuters poll

      Reuters
    • YouTube star climbs London's Tower Bridge

      Press Association video
    • Erin Andrews reveals battle with cancer

      Sporting News
    • Barack Obama: A presidency in pictures

    • Things might be a bit awkward between Susanna Reid and Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain next week

      SNAPPA Celebrity
    • Silicon Valley billionaires are preparing for the apocalypse with motorcycles, guns, and private hideaways

      Business Insider
    • Outdoor Photographer of the Year - the glorious winning pictures

    • Bomb classes and gun counts: trauma of Mosul children under Islamic State

      Reuters
    • Lung transplant patient meets daughters of the woman who saved her life

      Press Association video
    • Does Your Child Go To One Of These 329 Failing Secondary Schools?

      Yahoo News
    • Help
    • Privacy
    • Suggestions
    • About our ads
    • Terms
    By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes