Number 10 has played down suggestions Boris Johnson will carry out a reshuffle next week.
However, No10 have played down a rumour he could strike next Wednesday in a bid to distract from Dominic Cummings’ appearance in front of a committee of MPs.
The Prime Minister’s former chief adviser is expected to make bombshell disclosures when he gives evidence next week on the government’s handling of the pandemic.
Last week, Mr Cummings threatened the PM with the release of “a crucial historical document” that would expose decision-making in the first Covid lockdown.
“I’ve got the only copy of a crucial historical document from Covid decision-making,” he said.
While No10 did not completely rule it out, Evening Standard columnist Tom Newton Dunn said a Downing Street source had dismissed a reshuffle on Wednesday as “complete bollocks”, not least because “they’re always pretty messy”.
The Prime Minister’s spokesman declined to comment.
He told reporters: “As I think you’re aware it’s not something that we would comment on.”
Pressed on whether there could be a reshuffle on Wednesday to distract from Mr Cummings’ blockbuster evidence session, he stressed again: “You know we don’t comment on such matters.”