Noel Clarke says he's seeking "help" after harassment allegations

Justin Harp
·2-min read
Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images
Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images

The following article contains discussion of sexual harassment allegations that some readers may find upsetting.

Noel Clarke has said he is "seeking professional help" following sexual harassment claims from more than 20 women.

The Doctor Who and Viewpoint star has been accused by producers, actresses and other entertainment industry professionals of unwanted sexual touching and harassment, taking and sending unwanted sexual content and professional bullying.

While the actor has categorically denied any "sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing", he told PA in a statement on Friday night (April 30) that he would be seeking "professional help" to assess his behaviour.

Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images
Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images

His full statement reads: "I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing. Recent reports however have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise.

"To those individuals, I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking professional help to educate myself and change for the better."

Clarke's public apology comes hours after ITV made the decision to drop the final episode of his current thriller Viewpoint from the schedules on Friday night — instead choosing to put the episode on the ITV Hub through the weekend for those wanting to watch.

Photo credit: Ben Blackall / Tiger Aspect Productions - ITV
Photo credit: Ben Blackall / Tiger Aspect Productions - ITV

His producing partners at Sky have also announced that they will not work with him on season 4 of Bulletproof, while co-star Ashley Walters has said he "cannot stand by and ignore these allegations".

"Sexual harassment, abuse and bullying have no place in our industry," Walters wrote on Twitter. "Every woman has the right to a safe workplace and moving forward I pledge my dedication to this."

Clarke has been suspended from the BAFTAs and had his recent BAFTA Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award taken away in light of these allegations.

BAFTA organisers confirmed that they had been notified of accusations against Clarke days before giving the award earlier this month, but insist there weren't specific complaints they could investigate.

Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images
Photo credit: David M. Benett - Getty Images

A statement from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts said that the organisation "would never have presented the award" to Clarke if the accusers had presented them with "the kind of firsthand testimony that has now appeared in The Guardian".

Rape Crisis England and Wales works towards the elimination of all forms of sexual violence and sexual misconduct. If you’ve been affected by the issues raised in this story, you can access more information on their website or by calling the National Rape Crisis Helpline on 0808 802 9999. Rape Crisis Scotland’s helpline number is 08088 01 03 02.

Digital Spy's digital magazine is back! Read every issue now with a 1-month free trial, only on Apple News+.

Interested in Digital Spy's weekly newsletter? Sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox – and don't forget to join our Watch This Facebook Group for daily TV recommendations and discussions with other readers.

You Might Also Like