North London cycle shop burnt out after e-bike battery fire

The destroyed cycle repair shop is shown with damaged e-bikes surrounding it.
-Credit: (Image: LFB)


A fire that broke out at a cycle repair shop has caused extensive damage to the business' premises. The blaze is believed to have started after lithium batteries for an e-bike failed, spreading to multiple others within the shop.

Crews were called at around 7pm, on July 7, with six fire engines and 40 firefighters attending the scene at West Green Road, near Turnpike Lane, North London.

Crews had brought the fire under control by 8.12pm, but much of the cycle repair shop and some the flat above were damaged by the blaze. There were no reports of any injuries.

READ MORE: 'Murdered' baby's mum in hospital after man, 26, arrested

"Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure and can present a serious fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged,” said a London Fire Brigade spokesperson.

"Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells."

Firefighters outside of the cycle repair shop in the aftermath of the blaze.
40 firefighters attended the scene. -Credit:LFB

Lithium batteries can explode or break out into fire, especially when there is overheating, crushing, penetrating or overcharging. Many of the e-bike and e-scooter fires in London have involved second-hand vehicles or modified parts bought online.

There is less regulation on e-bike and e-scooter products bought via online marketplaces or auction sites, so the brigade cannot be confident that products meet the correct safety standard.

For more safety information, including about how to safely store and charge your e-bike, visit the brigade's website.

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here.