Nottingham Forest face further FA action following Liverpool controversy as new charge laid

A fan is kept away from referee Paul Tierney by Forest defender Murillo and Liverpool's Kostas Tsimikas during the Premier League match at the City Ground on March 2.
-Credit: (Image: Neal Simpson)

Nottingham Forest are facing a further Football Association charge following their fiery Premier League clash with Liverpool at the City Ground on March 2.

The club and coach Steven Reid have already been punished by the FA after the 1-0 defeat sparked angry scenes at the final whistle.

Referee Paul Tierney was deemed to have made a mistake in the run-up to Liverpool’s winning goal, eventually leading an independent Regulatory Commission to fine the Reds £75,000 for failing to stop their players and “technical area occupants” behaving in an improper way after chaos ensured after the final whistle.

First team coach Reid was also found guilty of using abusive and/or insulting language towards a match official after he was shown a red card and handed a two-match touchline ban and £5,000 fine.

READ MORE: Alan Shearer brands survivors Forest 'very lucky'

READ MORE: Marinakis highlights his role in Euro triumph as Forest aim for lift-off

But with the dust having seemingly settled on the case, the FA has now lodged a further charge. In a statement released on Friday, they say: “Nottingham Forest FC has been charged with misconduct in relation to crowd control at the Premier League match against Liverpool FC on Saturday, March 2.

"It is alleged that Nottingham Forest FC failed to ensure its spectators and/or supporters (and anyone purporting to be supporters or followers) conducted themselves in an orderly fashion; didn’t behave in an improver, threatening or provocative way; and/or commit any form of pitch incursion. Nottingham Forest FC has until Friday, June 7, to respond.”

The controversy developed when Forest were left furious they did not get the ball back, despite having possession when play was stopped for a potential head injury to Ibrahima Konate in the 97th minute of the match. Ref Tierney opted for a drop-ball at the feet of Liverpool goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher. The visitors went on to win a corner, from which Darwin Nunez scored the winning goal.

In addition to Reid being sent off, unused substitute Felipe was booked for his protests at the end of the game. Reds owner Evangelos Marinakis was also pitchside.

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg, who at the time was employed by Forest on a consultancy basis as a referee analyst but has since stepped down, said after the game: “The law is quite clear. The law states that the referee is entitled to stop the game if he feels there is a head injury. However, the ball has to go back to the team that has the possession. Nottingham Forest clearly had that possession.

“Nottingham Forest should have had the ball back and therefore possession of the ball, and the game is completely different. Liverpool have then gone on the attack and scored from it. You can understand the frustration. Things just seem to be going against Nottingham Forest Football Club at the moment."