‘A Number of Confirmed Fatalities’ After Alleged Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert

Taryn Ryder
Writer, Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle
Ariana Grande performing in New York City. (Photo: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Republic Records)

Police in Manchester, England, have confirmed emergency services responded to “reports of an explosion” at Manchester Arena where Ariana Grande was performing on Monday night.

“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured,” according to a statement from police. “This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise.”


While details are still coming in, Grande, 23, was not injured during the incident. “Ariana is OK,” a rep for the singer told Entertainment Weekly. “We are further investigating what happened.”

CBS News reports there were two explosions at the arena, which contained nails.


The “Side to Side” singer had just finished her performance when two “loud bangs” were reportedly heard between 10:40 p.m. and 10:45 p.m., according to the Manchester Evening News. “We saw young girls with blood on them, everyone was screaming and people were running,” one concertgoer said.

Police respond at a cordoned off street close to the Manchester Arena on May 22, 2017, after reports of explosions at an Ariana Grande concert. (Photo: Dave Thompson/Getty Images)

Another eyewitness described the incident to BBC News. “Everyone was screaming and running, there were coats and people’s phones on the floor. People just dropped everything,” said a 22-year-old man. “Some people were screaming they’d seen blood, but other people were saying it was balloons busting or a speaker had been popped.”

Videos posted on Twitter show the terrified concertgoers fleeing after the explosions.


Police are urging people to stay away from the area.


Breaking news, more to come…


Read more from Yahoo Celebrity:

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes