Oktoberfest has been cancelled this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The German state of Bavaria has confirmed that the two-week beer festival will not take place this autumn.
This year's Oktoberfest had been scheduled for September 19 to October 4.
Around six million people usually attend Oktoberfest, often bringing in more than €1 billion for the city of Munich.
The Munich festival has inspired similar events in Germany and worldwide, including one in London.
Bavarian state premier Markus Soeder said the Covid-19 outbreak made the festival too dangerous.
He said: "We have decided the risk is simply too great.
"It hurts, it is a huge shame."
He added that he came to the decision alongside the Mayor of Munich Dieter Reiter.
The first Oktoberfest was held in 1810, and the festival has become known for its huge quantities of beer, long wooden tables and brass bands.
The rate of deaths in Germany is falling as the country begins to loosen its strict lockdown, with a number of non-essential shops reopening yesterday.
On Sunday German health authorities recorded 110 coronavirus deaths, bringing the total death toll to 4,404 – a quarter of neighbouring France’s total.