Olly Murs denies reports he is taking part in Strictly Come Dancing 2017

Tina Campbell
Olly Murs denies taking part in Strictly

Singer Olly Murs has shot down claims that he is set to star in this year's Strictly Come Dancing.

A tabloid claimed that the 32-year-old – who originally shot to fame as a finalist on The X Factor – had been poised to sign a big-money deal to appear in the BBC dance show when it returns this autumn.

Trending: Kim Kardashian's doctor says her bum is 'too big' and should serve as a warning

Olly however has now taken to social media to insist that it is not true.

He tweeted: "Not doing a certain dancing show this year!!! Strictly not true," followed by an emoji sticking its tongue out.

Don't miss: Tom Hardy should 'admit' he didn't nab moped thief, says woman who claims to be the real hero

Disappointed fans were quick to react on the micro-blogging site.

"Shame would love to see them dance moves," wrote one.

Most popular: Who is actress Hayden Panettiere? Fiance helping Wladimir Klitschko cope with defeat

"I was lookin forward to seeing you in Lycra," lamented a second.

But not all of his 7.85million followers were convinced that he was telling the truth due to his choice of emoji.

"I'm sure I believe you when you tweet that emoji," declared one.

As a second pondered of the Wrapped Up hit-maker: "Are you being sarcastic?"

Even if not this year though, could the Essex-born star saying "this year" mean that a future appearance is on the cards?

When asked in the past about appearing on the Saturday night staple, Olly – who has appeared as a live music guest before – seemed enthusiastic, saying: "I've always been open to the idea of Strictly. I went down there and did a performance and part of me just enjoyed the whole atmosphere. Learning those sort of dances would be quite fun."

He could certainly pick up a few tips from his friend Caroline Flack, 37, who he heavily supported in the lead up to her winning the series in 2014.

Meanwhile, another name which has been thrown into the ring of reported contenders for the 15th series is former marathon runner Paula Radcliffe.

Despite retiring from competing in 2015, show bosses are said to be pulling out all of the stops to secure the 43-year-old record-breaking athlete for the dance show.

A source said: "Paula is a bona fide athletics legend, and the bosses are convinced she would be a hit on Strictly if she agreed to take part."

Revealing that she is a "massive fan of the show" they added to The Sun: "She has told the Strictly team that she needs time to discuss it with her friends and family, which is what she is doing at the moment but they are all urging her to go for it."

Paula Radcliffe

You may be interested in:

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes