Olympic Park left covered in rubbish as travellers turn it into illegal dump

Tom Powell
A huge pile of rubbish near the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: Jeremy Selwyn

This is the scene at London’s Olympic Park where a gargantuan pile of rubbish including office furniture, mattresses and toy cars has been dumped by travellers.

A group who had been living on a building plot allegedly charged householders to dispose of their waste before dumping it.

The shocking photos show rubbish piled up high against a fence near the Olympic stadium, with chairs, fence panels and white goods amongst the mess.

Bins, bedding and large pieces of furniture can also be seen near to the park where hundreds of thousands of people enjoyed the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Travellers were evicted from the site last Wednesday following a High Court order (Jeremy Selwyn)

The illegal dump will now have to be cleared by the housing developer who owns the site, Balfour Beatty.

A pipe fitter working on the nearby UCL building said the mound has grown quickly since travellers arrived a month ago.

The developer who owns the site will have to pay to clear the rubbish (Jeremy Selwyn)

Chris Clark, 61, told the Daily Mail: “They were obviously picking up rubbish from elsewhere, they wouldn't have brought it with them and there's not a chance it's just their waste.

"It looks like people are paying them to take rubbish away and this is where they're tipping it.”

A spokesman for the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC), which is responsible for the Olympic Park, said it had obtained a High Court order for the travellers’ removal.

Court officers forced the group to leave last Wednesday with the help of police officers.

The illegal rubbish dump has grown quickly over the last month (Jeremy Selwyn)

An LLDC spokesperson said: "We have taken back possession of the site, which is under licence to a developer, from the illegal occupiers and the developer, East Wick and Sweetwater Projects, will meet the cost of cleaning the area.”

A Balfour Beatty spokesperson said: “Balfour Beatty is a joint venture partner in East Wick and Sweetwater Projects Ltd, which is developing housing on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park site.

“The site where the illegal rubbish tip has been left is currently under licence to Balfour Beatty who will be responsible for the removal of the waste.

“The development of the first phase of the East Wick and Sweetwater project is due to commence in 2018.”

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes