'One of the best' bars in Hinckley makes decision to shut down live music after complaints

The Baton Rouge in Hinckley
-Credit: (Image: Baton Rouge)


A bar offering "one of the best” options for live music in a Leicestershire town has decided to pull the plug on its live music acts after it received noise complaints from local residents. Baton Rouge, in Regent Street, Hinckley, said the decision would come into force from Friday (May 31).

It said in a social media post that it had done “everything” in its “power to fight this” after the live music had “upset some of the locals”. The bar said it took the decision as it “wanted to be the decision makers” rather than risk being stopped by the council.

Fans of the bar said they were “disgusted”, while another bar in the town said it was “genuinely frustrated” for Baton Rouge. Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council said it had been working with Baton Rouge following “receipt of complaints regarding the volume of music from the premises.”

READ MORE: Prime Minister Rishi Sunak visits Hinckley during General Election campaign

In a statement, the council said: “HBBC has not prohibited live music at Baton Rouge. HBBC have been working with Baton Rouge following receipt of complaints regarding the volume of music from the premises.

"As a result, Baton Rouge has chosen to cease live music at the venue.” The Clarence, a nearby pub and bar in Market Place, said the venue provided “one of the best” choices in the area.

In a response to the news on social media, The Clarence said: “From all of the team up the road we are genuinely frustrated for you, we know how hard it is to run a bar effectively and the effort that goes into it every single day, if there is anything we can do to help please count us in. In our opinion, the more choice our community has in where they spend their time and money the better, and we have to tip our hats to you that you provide one of the best, things always happen for a reason, in the meantime keep doing what you do.”

The former restaurant building in Orton Square that will become Leicester' Baton Rouge
The former restaurant building in Orton Square that will become Leicester Baton Rouge -Credit:Baton Rouge

One social media user said on Facebook that it was “insane” that Baton Rouge was “singled out” when there’s “music and rowdiness all along Regent Street”. Another said it was “unbelievable”.

The directors of Baton Rouge, Matt Hogg and his mum, Lucy, father-in-law, Sean Jones, and his friend James Smith, found they had managed to ride the peak of the country music wave, quickly becoming one of Hinckley's busiest venues. However, the venue can only hold 60 people and Matt said previously "there are often people queueing outside for quite some time".

They are currently gearing up to open in the former Orton's Brasserie building in Leicester, opposite the Curve Theatre, after they first opened a venue in Hinckley last year. Speaking to LeicestershireLive after the decision was made, Baton Rouge said live music was part of its "essence".

"Our altruistic approach towards our responsibilities, relating to the licensing objectives, is something we are very proud of. Live music is part of our essence, and not something we want to stop at our Hinckley venue.

"In an effort to remain autonomous, and after a year of purposeful attempts to establish a collaborative approach; impending implications, relating specifically to live music, led us to make this constrained decision. For future projects, we hope that our understanding of integrity, fairness, equality and support, is in alignment with the relevant organisations."

We are now bringing you the latest updates on WhatsApp first