OnlyFans suspends future ban on sexually explicit content

·2-min read
OnlyFans seemingly reversed the decision to ban sexually explicit images  (PA Wire)
OnlyFans seemingly reversed the decision to ban sexually explicit images (PA Wire)

OnlyFans will suspend its plan to ban sexually explicit photographs and videos on its platform later this year.

The online subscription service, which is popular among sex workers, recently announced new rules coming into effect in October.

It planned to prohibit “any content containing sexually explicit conduct”, though non-sexual nudity will still be permitted.

On Wednesday, OnlyFans seemingly reversed the decision with a statement on its Twitter page. It is not clear if the ban is permanent or temporary.

The statement said: “Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard.

“We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.

“OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

“An official communication to creators will be emailed shortly.”

The social media platform has predominantly been used by sex workers but a number of celebrities, musicians and comedians also use it for non-sexual content.

Creators receive 80 per cent commission on their earnings while the remaining 20 per cent goes to the London-based firm.

This covers the cost of “referral payments, payment processing, hosting, support, and all other services”.

Some users of the platform criticised the policy change when it was first announced.

Some stated they intended to look elsewhere following the announcement while others were anxious about what the future holds.

A spokesperson for OnlyFans told the PA news agency: “The proposed October 1, 2021 changes are no longer required due to banking partners’ assurances that OnlyFans can support all genres of creators.”

Read More

OnlyFans founder blames ‘unfair’ banks for ban on explicit sexual content

Sex workers believe OnlyFans will close down without explicit sexual videos

OnlyFans sex workers plan to find alternative platform amid explicit content ban

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting