OnlyFans has suspended its recently announced ban on “sexually explicit” content, following fierce backlash from users and sex workers.
This month the platform, which had become a hub for amateur and professional adult entertainers, said it would be changing its content guidelines to attract more outside investment.
OnlyFans said that from October 2021 it would ban “sexually explicit” content, allowing some nude images but prohibiting videos and photos showing real or simulated sex and masturbation.
Despite the insistence of OnlyFans that it was “working around the clock to come up with solutions” for sex workers to continue to use the platform, the announcement was met with blistering backlash.
Now, the company appears to have backed down, at least temporarily.
On Wednesday (25 August), OnlyFans shared on Twitter: “Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard.
“We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.
“OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.
“An official communication to creators will be emailed shortly.”
OnlyFans had previously said the policy change was necessary to “ensure the long-term sustainability of our platform”.
“These changes are to comply with the requests of our banking partners and payout providers,” it added at the time of the initial announcement.
Founder Tim Stokely later told the Financial Times that banks including the UK’s Metro Bank, Bank of New York Mellon and JP Morgan Chase had left it with “no choice”. It’s unclear whether these or any other banks were involved in the U-turn. All three declined to comment.
Although OnlyFans said the policy change had been “suspended”, it has not made clear whether the ban on “sexually explicit” content will still go ahead at a later date.
For many OnlyFans users and sex workers, the change of heart has come ‘too late’
OnlyFans users and sex workers were left with whiplash after the platform’s change of heart, and many declared that it had come “too late”.
One sex worker responded: “This should have been done BEFORE you chose to throw most of the people who MAKE you money off the platform.”
“I’m moving my content anyway,” said another. “You cannot be trusted.”
A third former OnlyFans user said: “Too late, I’m not f**king my fans about and moving them back.”
PinkNews has approached OnlyFans for comment.