Pal of missing teen Jay Slater hits back at armchair detectives on wild theories

-Credit: (Image: Pixel8000)
-Credit: (Image: Pixel8000)


The pall of missing teen Jay Slater has hit back at armchair detectives on their wild theories circulating online. Brad Hargreaves, one of Jay Slater's close friends, travelled out with him to Tenerife to attend the NRG music festival had to clarify they are not drug mules and begged folk to be more sensitive online.

Brad told his Instagram followers those thinking he had some part to play in Jay's disappearance is 'beyond me'. He told those creating their theories of what happened to Jay they 'need to know the facts before talking s*** on the internet'.

The teen added the pair have been 'mates for years, came on our first holiday together and unfortunately, this has happened. We ain't drug mules or whatever...'

Brad slapped down the theory that was rife on social media that Tenerife's drug scene could have played a role in Jay's disappearance - including accusing the 19-year-old's friends of being 'drug mules'. Slamming the discussion he said:“Thinkin' I’m involved in it all is beyond me,.

“We’ve been mates for years, came on our first holiday together and unfortunately this has happened. We ain’t drug mules or whatever.... people need to know the facts before talking s*** on the internet...”

-Credit:Stan Kujawa
-Credit:Stan Kujawa

Jay, from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire, disappeared on the Spanish island on June 17. He was last seen leaving the Airbnb at around 8am that morning, reports the MEN. The 19-year-old, who was on holiday with his pals Lucy Law, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, had previously been partying at the Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas, before leaving the event to return to the rented property.

His last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the Canary Island about an 11-hour walk back to his accommodation. At around 8.30am on the morning of his disappearance, Jay called Lucy to say he was in the middle of nowhere, trying to get home with no water and 1 per cent on his phone battery. That was the last time anyone heard from him.

The Brit who 'owns the Airbnb where missing Jay Slater visited' before he disappeared has also recently spoken out and claims he 'left there alive'. Ayub Qassim said he invited the 19-year-old back to the rental property in the north of Tenerife, close to the village of Masca, after a rave on the south of the island.

Qassim, who reportedly booked the £40-a-night apartment under the name of Ayub Abdul, has spoken out amid widespread speculation into why Jay went back there and why he left with his phone on 1 per cent battery and with no water.

Qassim said he was 'doing Jay a favour' by letting him stay at the apartment - named Casa Abuela Tina. Speaking to the Mail Online, the 31-year-old said: "He came to my Airbnb alive and he left my Airbnb alive."

According to reports, Qassim was jailed nine years ago for being the mastermind behind a sophisticated operation to flood Wales with Class A drugs.

-Credit:Police Handout/MEN Media
-Credit:Police Handout/MEN Media

Spanish Police have already spoken to him and the unnamed pal he was travelling with - though officers on the ground said the pair were 'irrelevant' to the investigation.

Qassim has now returned to his family's flat in east London. Speaking yesterday, he said: "The only comment I have to make is that Jay came to the house alive, and he left the house alive.

"I let the geezer stay at mine because he had nowhere else to go, his friends had all left him. I know Jay, through friends, I'm not going to bring someone back to mine if I don't know them.

"I'm doing the geezer a favour and now my face is all over the news. It's a bit mental. I haven't even done anything."

Jay Slater went missing on June 17
Jay Slater went missing on June 17 -Credit:Instagram

He added there had been no argument with Jay amid reports the teenager had told friends he had 'taken a £12,000 Rolex watch' and 'left the rental property feeling scared'. Qassim said: "If I'd fallen out with him would he even come to mine?

"There were no problems. You've seen the last images of him with his red blanket around him.

"I don't know if he had beef elsewhere because I don't know him that well, I only know him through friends.'"

After almost two weeks of hunting for the teenager in vast and mountainous terrain, police called off the search on the ground for him. On June 30, they said officers would continue to act on any tip-offs or other information that came in but the active work that has been ongoing since the apprentice bricklayer was reported missing would cease.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.