The foster parents of the Parsons Green Tube bomber have spoken at their disbelief and “betrayed” by his actions.
Ron and Penny Jones took Iraqi asylum seeker Ahmed Hassan into their home in Surrey but claim they were never warned that he had admitted being “trained to kill” by militants shortly after he arrived in Britain.
The couple said Hannah “seemed like the loveliest boy we could have asked for” but they had no idea that the teenager was plotting to cause carnage in central London by planting a bomb on a busy Tube carriage.
On Friday he was convicted of attempted murder after the bomb partially exploded at Parsons Green, injuring 51 passengers.
In an interview with the Daily Mail, Mr and Mrs Jones said the authorities “should have been honest” with them, and spoke of their disbelief at how events unfolded.
“He still needed somewhere to live, he still needed to be looked after, but I would have liked to have known because we could’ve been looking out for signs of radicalisation,” said Mrs Jones.
MORE: Former ambassador says there is ‘zero evidence’ nerve agent used against Sergei Skripal was made in Russia
MORE: As YouTube cracks down on conspiracy theories, here’s eight of the wildest on there
Mr Jones, 89, added: “If we’d known, we could have been more watchful. I still can’t believe he did it. He seemed like such a good kid.”
Mr Jones, who was awarded an MBE in 2010 along with his wife for services to fostering, told the Mail he had been “blaming myself but I’ve had nothing to be suspicious of”.
Mrs Jones added: “I can only say he betrayed me. And out of the 269 kids we’ve had, he’s the only one I can say that about.”
During Hassan’s trial, the Old Bailey heard he had wanted to avenge the death of his father in Iraq and was “disappointed” when the bomb only partly detonated in a huge fireball.
It was also revealed that the 18-year-old had already come to the attention of the Home Office, telling officials in January 2016 that he was recruited by IS and forced to train with them.
Hassan, who arrived in Britain on the back of a lorry in 2015, was referred by Barnardo’s and Surrey social services to the anti-terrorism Prevent scheme, but kept his plans a secret.
A review of Hassan’s dealings with Prevent is under way to see whether any lessons can be learned.
Surrey County Council told the Mail: “We’re sorry Mr and Mrs Jones feel we didn’t support them well enough but we told them about Hassan’s background at the time he was placed with them.”
The authority said it placed a “high value on openness with all our foster carers”, adding: “This was our approach with Mr and Mrs Jones and our social workers also gave them regular updates.
“Supporting Mr and Mrs Jones continues to be a priority for us.”